August 6, 2026
📍 Sawmill Creek — 44.507709, -112.555633 · Alt: 7774 ft (2369m)
• Days Out: 2
• Hours: 12
• Start Mile: 2193.9
• End Mile: 2203.9
• Total Miles: 10 mi
• High Temp: 89 °F
• Low Temp: 46 °F
• Thru Hikers Met: 5
Sometime in the night the wind stopped. My tent is pitched in a bit of a draw, thought I was high enough to be away from the smoke. Since the wind has stopped there is nothing to keep the smoke away and it settled fairly thick.
This is what I woke up to
About 4 miles away is the next water source, I'm carrying 3 liters just in case. Upon arrival there are cows are in the area. Much of the trail now reminds me of a cattle ranch. The cows have created so many different trails that it is easy to take the wrong one. They have also fouled the stream that had water.
The cows have trampled the stream bed, even up the hill
As the trail winds along the dry creek bed where water was noted on the map, there is another creek coming joining the dry one, hope rises. Every point of access is fouled by cows. I continue on looking for the next source. I find one with an "area" that is not fouled. Load up with 4 liters after enjoying a big hydration effort of multiple drinks. To fill 4 liters it takes about an hour. Seems the new Sawyer filter is not allowing water to flow properly. I flushed it last night, this gave me little joy. An hour to get water is way too long, it severely cuts into my day.
Little Beaver Creek cow free area, kinda, to get water
Here's the valley that leads to water
The smoke is worse today than yesterday. My initial hope was the fires would get under control so I could enjoy the beautiful vistas. Not so, the big problem is my lungs are already starting to hurt and I am coughing. It is hard work hiking the uphill climbs having to breath deeply, seems like I'm not getting enough oxygen.
There's one of those cows
The trail is a mixture of cow trails and the CDT. Extra attention is required to stay on the correct trail. The coolness of a forest spotted with open green meadows is now the normal. I make it to another water source, Sawmill Creek. 4 liters later, rest then move on. Now the trail winds through some more conifers offering some shade and a refreshing change to the character of the trail.
The trees are a nice change, more cows not so much
The sun starts to set and so I'm looking for a place to sleep. The landscape has changed to the habitat of bears, this means I've got to hang my food bag tonight. I'm pleased with my hang, it's about 11' in the air and a good 7' from the tree trunk, looks safe. A good distance away and upwind I pitch my tent. As I get settled in for the night I am wondering how long this smoke will last.
Tags: cdt
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.