Sunday, August 20, 2017

Baxter State Park

  • Day:  160
  • Start:  2163.6
  • End:  2184.5
  • Miles:  20.9
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  50
  • Thru Hikers met:  1


100 Mile Wilderness 

The rain continues to fall lightly this morning, I snooze my alarm hoping the rain will stop soon. There comes a break in the rain at 0615 hrs, so I pack up getting on the trail by 0645 hrs. My goal is to do the 10 mile section ending the 100 Mile Wilderness plus the 10 mile section into Baxter State Park ending my day at the foot of Katahdin. 
As I leave I view Rainbow Lake through the trees, there is a mist hanging over the lake and the water is still restless from the storm. 





An inlet on Rainbow Lake with ducks making a run for it. 

The rain has released the balsam scent from the forest creating that uplifting atmosphere.  I dodge the mud, roots and rocks at a good clip. In just 10 miles I can get food at a restaurant by the Abol bridge., food is always a motivator.







The last bit of the 100 Mile Wilderness is very pretty this morning. I'm enjoying everything as I end this section. By 1200 hrs I arrive at the dire warning sign which is exactly the same as the one on the other end that I posted several days ago. This sign signals the end of the 100 Mile Wilderness in which I fortunately did not stumble into a fireswamp or encounter rodents of unusual size. 
I cross over the Abol bridge to a restaurant and a nice lunch. 


Restaurant for a much enjoyed lunch

Now I have a choice, get a ride to Millinocket or do the last 10 miles of the AT in Baxter State Park leaving the 5.2 mile Katahdin climb for a clear day. I discuss my chances of getting a ride from the campsite around 1600 hrs with a Baxter Ranger. He says it's doable but after 1800 hrs the chances are greatly diminished. I hike into the park finding the trail to be nicely maintained and therefore fast. 


As I cross into the park I notice the industry of local beavers 


Nicely maintained trail


The Penobscot is popular with rafters


The Penobscot River


Nesowadnehunk Stream


Nesowadnehunk Stream

I follow the trail to Daicey Pond and walk along her shores for a while. 


Daicey Pond

The sun pops through the clouds for a little while giving the forest a fresh look. My step quickens with the spirit lifting sunlight. 





I come upon Grassy Pond the last one for the day. I carefully walk some bog boards that are wet and slippery wishing to avoid a tumble. 


Grassy Pond

In short order I complete the 10 mile section in Baxter. Now I have 5.2 miles to complete the trail by climbing Katahdin. It's now 1530 hrs and I want to catch a ride to Millinocket as today and tomorrow are not forecasted good days to hike the mountain. I start walking the road out of the park, in about 10 minutes a car stops to pick me up, the drive says she is going to Millinocket. Thankfully I accept the ride. Tomorrow I'll zero and try my ascent on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.