August 7, 2026
I awake early after a fitful night. I have come to the conclusion if the smoke continues for my health, I must abort this hike. I have thought of every way possible to make this work. I have covered all the contingencies but I can't control the fires. I have planned for months and finally I'm on the trail again, a wonderful free feeling that I have longed for. In 2 days my lungs hurt, if the air is clear I will normalize, if not I fear I will continue to damage my health. Sadly, I lay starring at the ceiling of my tent, telling myself I will know the answer when I rise.
I retrieve my food bag and break camp. The time has come. The air is even more smoky than yesterday, I have no idea how long this will last but when it keeps getting worse I feel the end is not close. I've got to abort.
The smoke is getting worse as I hike
I backtrack to a BLM road, 103, and head east. I know I-15 lies in that direction. I can smell the smoke, not just a hint but a real smell. I'm sad about this but I believe I've made the right decision, better to stay healthy and hike another day.
The hike out is about 10 miles. On the way a herd of cattle occupy the road and both sides, maybe 30 head. I have my reflective umbrella deployed for shade, amazing at cutting the heat. Well I suppose the cattle have never seen anything like me approaching them, a man with a pack and a shiny thing over his head, so they start trotting, but not away from me perpendicular into the fields, but staying on the road in front of me. This situation is not optimal as now I have fresh cow droppings to avoid and cow dust to contend with. I start shouting at the cows to get off the road, all but 2 comply. I round a turn to find even more cattle in the fields A little further I see 3 cowboys on horseback herding. My cattle dust problem is resolved. I wave as I pass them, they are busy but manage a courteous wave back. One rider stops to talk with me a bit. I explain my story and that I'm headed to I-15 to get a ride. He says "if I see you when I'm finished I'll give you a ride". I thank him, wishing him a good day. I'm now walking along 1-15 with a deep creek heavily filled with brush and the freeway right-of-way fence, no way to access the freeway here. I figure another mile or so to the freeway ramps and the possibility of a ride. Suddenly the cowboys appear hauling their horses and dogs in a trailer. They stop and ask me if I want a ride. It's a rhetorical question as I throw my pack in the bed and climb in. These Wyoming "cowboys" are 2 young men and a young woman. Very pleasant people and comfortable to converse with. I apologize for herding the cows hoping I don't make their job harder. In unison they said you helped us, we've been having a heck of a time getting these cows to move. One offered, we need to hire you to help us. Laughter all around. True to his word I got a ride back to Lima.
Once back in civilization I can see the active fires in the West. My decision timing is confirmed.
Fires in the West, more than I can remember
Air quality also confirms my decision
So reluctantly I'm heading home, already planning what I will do different next time. Maybe staring in July to miss, as the locals say, "Wyoming fire season".
Tags: cdt
Bummer but your safety and health come first.
ReplyDelete