Thursday, May 15, 2014

The John Muir Trail - my starting thoughts


Here are the elevations for the John Muir Trail.  I'm starting at the right side and working north to the left side.  As you can see my biggest ascent is going to be the first day climbing 8000 feet in 8.5 miles from the Whitney Portal to Mt Whitney.




JMT Map courtesy of the Sierra Club

The 221 mile John Muir Trail takes in the best of the high Sierras which is also the most rugged section of the Pacific Crest Trail.   In my opinion the JMT encompasses the most wonderful alpine, high granite of the entire Sierra Nevada Range.  I am excited to visit this region again, looking forward to the extended time away from contact with the rest of the world.  Massive peaks surround this trail with the challenge of high mountain passes every day.  Water is never a problem in this environment, crystal clear mountain nectar running everywhere.   No cell phone connectivity until I get close to Vermillion Valley Resort, Reds Meadow, and Tuolumne Meadows.  Perhaps 7 days, depending on the snow pack, until I reach Vermillion Valley Resort.  I have four resupply boxes waiting for me at convenient locations on the trail, Independence, Mammoth Lakes, Tuolumne Meadows, and Echo Lake.

Once I finish this wonderful trail I plan to continue hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail all the way to Lake Tahoe, I figure this to be about an additional 210 miles.  I plan to deviate from the PCT after Glen Aulin Camp traveling the higher peaks accessed through the PCT/Matterhorn canyon junction.  This section will put me east and parallel of the PCT for roughly 20 miles, I'll rejoin the PCT prior to Sonora Pass.  I plan to walk out to my folks cabin at Lake Tahoe, so no ride required when my hike is finished!

1 comment:

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.