Sunday, September 4, 2016

Dick"s Pass and then Home

  • Day:  9  (Sept 9, 2016)
  • Start:  132
  • End:  151 + 8
  • Miles:  27
  • Running total:  186
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  79
  • Low temp:  42
  • People met:  6

 
Dawn comes over Susie Lake

More ancient trees

A couple of miles and about 1000' foot elevation gain is how I start my day.  Very nice.views of Dick's peak, Half Moon Lake, and Susie Lake

 
Dick's Peak with Pyramid in the background and Half Moon Lake in the foreground

I camped at Half Moon Lake as a teenager with some high school friends. Back then as I climbed the Dick's Peak I remember thinking I want to climb them all, that's more energy than I want to expend today. 

 
Susie Lake 

 
Dick's Lake looking north almost to the top of  Dick's Pass

Ok a little bit of info from summitpost.org about the fellow named Dick. "The peak was named for an eccentric Englishman, Captain Richard 'Dick' Barter, also known as 'the Hermit of Emerald Bay' or the 'Hero of Robber's Roost.' 'Captain Dick Barter was an old sailor (or shell-back, as he expressed it)".   

Site with more info on Captain 'Dick' Barter

I reach the top of the pass, not nearly as windy as the last time I was up here. 

The Pass at the end of the trail

Dick's Lake, the notch to the left is where I took the first shot of this lake. 

 
A view of Tahoe, I am close to Emersld Bay. 

 
The terrain before I drop down to the lakes. 



Lake Fontanilis

 
Lake Fontanilis and the trail winding along her shores. 

I rest a while along the shores of Lake Fontanilis, gathering some water and enjoying the view. 

 
Another lush section

 
Followed by a dry section

The trail takes me through several small unique sections then falls into a forest with lots of down tree debris. The positive side to this forest is the that lovely scent of warm wood. I arrive at Lake Richardson for a rest and view enjoyment. This is about it for the trail as I have 2 miles left to joint my start point before I make my 8 mile trek on the McKinney/Rubicon road home. 

Lake Richardson

It seems so fast that I come upon my start point on an otherwise drab trail crossing at a dusty dirt road. It's 1500 hrs and I completed the Tahoe Rim Trail, I did enjoy this trail as it holds your interest with spectacular views. 

Now the 8 mile road to my folks cabin, this will make a 27 hike day for me. I am driven now with the thought of a good hot shower. 

 
Miller Lske

My last rest stop with a peaceful soothing view of Miller Lake. Now I put in my earphones and play music to help me tackle the literal rocky road ahead.  

McKinney/Rubicon Road, the smooth part 

I follow the road until I pickup a trail that winds back to Tahoma. Jeff and Diane are on their porch and call to me as I walk by offering a beer. The shower calls louder so I respectfully decline. Upon arrival at the cabin my great neighbors, Jeff and Diane have left me a completion award, just the best way to finish!

 
My award, the TRT logo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.