Sunday, September 4, 2016

Kingsbury

  • Day:  6
  • Start:  70
  • End:  90
  • Miles:  20
  • Running total:  110
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  86
  • Low temp:  47
  • People met:  1 bike, 10 hikers

 
"The Bench"

I wake to an overcast sky, so complete the sun does not provide a colorful sunrise. 

 
The overcast is breaking rapidly

The wind is up compelling me to use my jacket for warmth. The overcast is starting to break. Soon I'm off the lake view and back into the forest. And just like that the sun is out. 

 
Beautiful skies again 

The trail to Kingsbury Grade is now mostly downhill so my step is relaxed. More granite boulder groupings for my never ending enjoyment. 

 
The groupings are fun as they usually offer views and nice seats 

 
Not granite but very interesting 

I notice through the trees a nice view of Pyramid Peak, a lasting and wonderful memory with my family. 

 
Pyramid Peak 

Suddenly another granite grouping appears and offers a great view of South Lake Tahoe. 

 
SLT

The trail descends through the forest to the highway reveling a civilized staircase on the TRT. 

 
Kingsbury Grade Crossing

Not far from the highway the trail forks, I took the road most traveled for about 3/4 mile to the Fox & Hound. 

Fox & Hound. Nice sign I thought 

I putting my pack down outside and stowing my poles, out come the waiter. I ask if they are open, "yes", do you have wifi, "yes and what can I get you to drink?" I'm delighted with the reception and order ice water for now. Needless to say I felt great after cleaning up in the washroom. No one here, I'm a little early for the lunch crowd. I pick a table away from the general area so as not to offend anyone, plus the wall socket is there as well. The Fox & Hound is appearntly famous for their BBQ, better try the BBQ as there are many trophies on display validating their claim of "best BBQ in Nevada. I order a pulled pork sandwich with and egg on it and yes it was delicious. I get to charging my iPhone and backup battery. Then start sending up my posts. Each post takes about 12 minutes to send. I hydrate with lots of water and enjoy 1 beer just before I leave. 

It's my lucky day I'm at elevation 7777

The trail now is on the shady side of the mountain, this is such a blessing as the afternoon sun is harsh. I rest while enjoying a view of the Carson Valley. 

 
Carson Valley

The trail now winds to the western side, but the sun is now low enough be comfortable. I come to a section of ancient trees, there are many but some are even older. 

 

The truck is very large making a strong base

Under the mighty limbs

 
Another ancient giants

Happily I'm approaching the end of my hiking day. I find a nice level campsite nestled within the trees. I can watch the sunset as I setup camp. Another satisfying day. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.