Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Winds of Relief

  • Day:  5
  • Start:  50
  • End:  70
  • Miles:  20
  • Running total: 90
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  45
  • People met:  9

A crisp, clear morning

Higher winds came up in the evening last night causing me to decide to use my rain fly. I was protected but a little warm.  The temperature is not as cold at night as I expect it to be. The best news about the wind is the smoke has dissipated. The sky is a clear beautiful Tahoe blue and the air is fresh. I'm excited to hike as I've only 14 miles to hike until my next replenishment location, Spooner Summit.  All the big boulders are gone now and I'm back into a nice forest. I expected the Eastern side to be bare of trees, yet the forests over here are beautiful. I love these forests as the understory foliage is almost nonexistent, allowing one deep views into the forest. 

 
A lush carpet 

 
Marlett Lake in the foreground 

My first view of Tahoe as I come out of the forest into sagebrush. I am delighted that the smoke has cleared. 

 
Sweet sage

The gentle sweet scent of sage greets me as I walk in the high mountain meadow. 

 
Marveling at the clear day

The views of Tahoe have all been great but I'm enjoying the East side the most. 

More exposed hiking

I'm happy this exposed section is still in the cool of the morning, the hiking is easy. Soon I descend towards Spooner Summit and enter a forest of suger pines. The warmth of the day is bringing out the lovely scents of pine needles, manzanita and if you get close the the suger pines the pitch smells like butterscotch. I'm finding about half the time the trail is shaded, there is a huge difference when I step back into the shade. Once I'm at Spooner I'll have 6 miles to finish 20 for the day.  I arrive at 1340 hrs. And promptly give Jeff and Diane a call. They respond instantly and are on there way. I use the time to let my socks and boots dry from the hiking sweat. So far I'm happy with the boots I've chosen.  They are cool and are keeping my feet clean from all the trail dust. 
Jeff and Diane arrive with fresh fruit and beer. I am so thankful for their thoughtfulness. We have an enjoyable time discussing the trail as they enjoy remembering their experiences. Jeff allows me to charge my electronics via his vehicle. I get my water and food packages and am ready to hike as it's now 1600 hrs. and cooling down. I say goodby to these wonderful friends and head up a 5 mile climb. 
My pace is strong even though the trail is work but not as steep as others I've hiked.  Jeff tells me the TRT was planned to have grades no more than 10%. Thankful for that. I finally make my goal selecting a campsite with a sweeping view of the lake. The wind brought in some high clouds. I managed to capture the sunset. 

 
I thought "stunning"

 
Just so you could see it all like I am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.