Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Lake Views

  • Day:  3
  • Start:  5
  • End:  26
  • Miles:  21
  • Running total: 47
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  85
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  23 bikes, 15 hikers


The enterance to Alpine Meadows and the Truckee River 

The morning sunrise is filtered through trees and provides a wonderful start to the day.  I did the grade last night so this morning is easy going. As the trail turns East I catch a view of the Truckee River and the entrance to Alpine Meadows.  

So quiet in the forest

I'm enjoying the vibrant colors of the forest as I make my way.  

 
A lovely forest

I discover tracks of a sow and 1 cub, they look fresh. Immediately I'm in alert, I look and listen, they seem to be gone. I see where they left the trail. I've been watching for them as I hike, this us the closest I've come. 

 
I figure about 8"

Suddenly a view of Tahoe appears, the basin seems to be holding smoke from a forest fire somewhere in California. 

Looking towards Tahoe City


I continue to Watson Lake where I filter some water for the rest of this section. The lake is clear and a little warm, the water filters nicely. 


 
Watson Lake

Watson lake is accessible via vehicles and I find a couple of vehicles there. So interestingly the yellow jacket hatch seems to be in full swing. Everyone is talking about how intense it is. I find I am able to rest for about 10 minutes before there are so many around me I have to leave. In most of the forest there is a background drone of bees. They sound like a distance highway. Fortunately this afternoon for the first time I rested with only a few rogue bees investigating me. I am so thankful for the peace my shelter brings me in the evening. 
The warmth of the day brings out the scents of the forest, the pungent mule ears as they dry, the soapy fresh scent of manzanita. 

 
Mule ears saying goodby to summer

I make my supply stop at Brockway Summit on highway 267. I maintained this road when we lived up here. Diane and Jeff, wonderful neighbors in Tahoma, kindly brought me water and 2 days food, 14lbs worth. I am so thankful for such wonderful friends. 

Another 6 miles to my desired campsite. I hike a little and find a bee free area to work on my update and let the hot part of the day go by. 

 
Thought this was a nice specimen. 

After some more climbing I come upon this sweeping vista of Tahoe. 

 
Close to the North end Nevada Stateline. 

Two more miles and I'm done for the day. I find my campsite and it is very nice. Just a small Tahoe view but in the North side I can see Martis Valley and on to Truckee. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.