Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Relay Peak

  • Day:  4
  • Start:  26
  • End:  50
  • Miles:  24
  • Running total: 70
  • Hours:  14
  • High temp:  86
  • Low temp:  40
  • People met:  too many to count

Sunset last night

As the sun went down the positive side to all the smoke made for a bright orange streak. 

On the way to Relay Peak this morning, as usual the sky is cloudless and the air is cool. The climb is 1700' over an 8 mile distance, so it shouldn't be too steep. The forest quickly gives way to Nevada Eastern Sierra terrain, thin forest, lots of mule ears and rocks. Right now I'm enjoying the trail to myself, I fear I may meet day hikers as Relay Peak and Mt Rose are popular spots. 

 
Eastern Sierras

The good news is no bikes or horses. 

 
This marks Nevada

It seems in no time I reach Nevada as the climb is going well. Just a hint of the forest scents start to awaken and lift my spirits.  The trail rapidly becomes exposed but with huge views of Tahoe.

An unobstructed view
 
 
A much dryer terrain 

 
Lots of volcanic formations 

Sun screen goes in early as I'm walking right towards the Sun. A little bit more and I'm at the top of Relay Peak, 10,300'. I am alone for now, so I get my photos and select a shady place under some low lying trees. 


There are ancient trees up here that have seen a lot of harsh winters, yet still cling to life. These trees offer a special majesty to the trail. 

 
Ancient Cedar

 
Even up here flowers find enough to grow

I wind down the trail to Galena Falls where there is plenty of water. I get a full 4.75 liters to help me through to Spooner Summit. 

 
Galena Falls

The trail is an easy hike out to Mt Rose highway trail head.  I find trash receptacles so I can unload my garbage, plus a privy. How civilized!  
On through Tahoe Meadows, beautiful verdant green and I'm hiking flat or downhill. 

 
Tahoe Meadows

I'm planning on camping at Twin Lakes about another 8 miles away.  This section is very nice, mostly downhill and great views of the Washoe Valley. 
The trail is decomposed granite and the landscape is a bit deeper forest than this morning with a compliment of huge boulders. As the trail swings to the East I'm in the shadow of the mountain, this offers relief from the relentless afternoon sun. 

 
Washoe Valley

The landscape is littered with them

 
Tonight's sunset

The wind is up as I arrive at a good campsite about .5 mile before Twin Lakes. The light is fading so l busy myself with setting up camp. Another splendid day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.