Friday, August 26, 2016

Walking to the Trail

  • Day:  1   (Sept 1, 2016)
  • Start:  151
  • End:  162
  • Miles:  11+8=19
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  80
  • Low temp:  42
  • People met:  18

Finally a good nights sleep, I wake to the sound of my alarm, 0615 hrs. Today starts my long awaited Tahoe Rim Trail hike. My plan is to walk out the front door of my folks cabin in Tahoma covering the 8 miles of paved and dirt road joining the TRT. 
The cool morning air greats me as I step onto my journey. Walking through Tahoma is over quickly as I start a trail winding over to Miller Lake road. Surprisingly this section is nicely paved for the first 3 miles. The grade is gradual as I ease into the dirt section. I recall a wonderful memory thinking back to a day when Carolyn was carrying our first, Joshua. We drove this road in our Toyota 4x4 pickup for a little day trip outing. 

 
The first "lake" of the day, McKinney Lake

McKinney Lake is well on it's way in becoming a meadow, heavily choked with lily pads. 

Lily Lake is named correctly

The road ascends gently revealing another lake desiring to become a meadow. The forest is quiet, providing nice shade making these first 8 miles go by quickly. I reach Miller Lake, enjoying a splendid calm reflective view. 

 
Miller Lake

Three hours into my hike I make the TRT, turning right to make my trek clockwise around the lake. This section is also part of the Pacific Crest Trail, I recognize features as I crossed this section in 2012 while hiking the PCT. 

Dual trail identification PCT and TRT 

Flowers bloom along water sources providing a touch of color in this landscape that is showing dry signs of the end of summer. 

Lush section at a water source. 

About 1130 hrs I arrive at Barker Pass. An easily accessed trail head via a well maintained dirt road. I count 7 vehicles, one is a Tesla, but no people. As I continue on, the trail is still well worn and soft with broken duff, shade is frequent providing a comfortable walk. My first view of Tahoe is McKinney Bay 

McKenney Bay

 
 In a few days I'll be on those mountains 

Water is something I need to replenish, most water sources are meager. I select a adequate little stream and gather 2 liters of water. The intense afternoon mountain sun is now showing itself. Hiking is slightly more difficult with the afternoon heat. The trail ascends close to Twin Peaks and leaves the PCT. I'm now on an un-experienced trail so the excitement begins. 

 
Twin Peaks 

I must confess hiking at this altitude is noticeable as more breath catching stops are required on steeper climbs. I know this will pass quickly as my body adjusts. I can certainly feel the new aches as my body adjusts to hiking and carrying a pack. While seasoned I could do a higher mileage day, I think giving my body a rest after 19 miles is in my best interest. An inviting camp catches my eye, quiet off the trail, and a splendid view of Tahoe. 

 
My first camp north of Twin Peaks


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.