Sunday, September 4, 2016

Susie Lake

  • Day:  8
  • Start:  113
  • End:  132
  • Miles:  19
  • Running total: 152
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  83
  • Low temp:  38
  • People met:  18

 
 
Showers Lake 

Darkness is present now when I wake to start my day. In just the short time I've been hiking I've lost daylight when I wake up. A quick water fill up then I'm on my way. There is much more water available on the south and southwest sides of Tahoe so that I am only carrying 2.75 liters max whereas on the east side I carried 4.75 liters, a whole 4.4 lbs more. 

 
Morning breaks on mountain tops

The trail passes through damp hillsides feed by springs, providing a lush setting with some flowers still clinging on.  Now I move into a granite filled section, walking next to 15' high walls of rock. The air is cool and the forest is protecting me from heat.
 
Granite abounds in this section


 
A shot of Tahoe

In short order I'm at highway 50 which the trail parallels for some distance before crossing. Now I have a short 2 mile section to Echo Lake and resupply. I always look forward to resupply as it usually means different food as opposed to my hiker food.

 
Echo Lake chalet 

The Echo Lake Chalet is a combination of a small post office, a sandwich shop, a soda fountain, a grocery store, and a souvenir shop, all in that tiny building. So I order a sandwich, some fruit and an avacodo, plus a milkshake. They have a charging station for my phone, so I get that going as I eat. I place a call to Jeff and Diane.  They arrive perfectly as my phone battery tops off.  TThey deliver my last two food packets, a little water and great conversation. I look forward in seeing them as I enjoy their company and talking about the trail with them. 

 
Jeff and Diane, though I better get a picture of them for you. 

I'm off to the Desolation Wilderness, a wonderful granite basin that has loads of hiking memories for me. 

 
Echo Lake pier and boat launch 

 
 
Echo Lake looking west from the trail

I follow the relatively easy trail alongside Echo Lake, at the end of the lake the trail becomes rocky and rises in an exposed area. Thankfully the afternoon sun is somewhat diminished by a breeze.  Then suddenly the rocky climb stops and I'm on a flat dirt tread heading into the forest. 

 
Looking east back at Echo Lake 

 
Such a nice tread

I have fond memories of camping with my dad at Lake of the Woods, then later with Josh and Joy. I reach Lake Aloha where more memories flood my mind of camping trips with my children Josh and Joy and then Jessie. We found the best spot to camp. I remember laying out on granite slabs with them watching the night sky and seeing satellites zip across. 

Lake Aloha with Pyramid Peak in the background 

We all climbed Pyramid Peak one happy afternoon, earning a badge of courage as its no easy challenge. I also remember the first time I ascended that peak with my dad when I was about 13. It was him that showed me camping and this wonderful wilderness. 

 
Just a lot if granite 

The trees tell the tail of how windy it is here 


Aloha and Pyramid 

Leaving that memory filled glacial carved valley, I sweep around Dick's Peak to the east coming upon Heather Lake. 

 
Heather Lake 

I refresh myself here resting a while enjoying the solitude and serene beauty. Now the trail heads to another lake that will make 19 miles for today. 

 
Winds are picking up as I finish for the day. 

 
A small perk of Susie Lake as I descend. 

I find s suitable campsite off the trail with a nice view of the mountains and subsequent sunset. 

 

 

Another wonderful day capped by a pretty sky.  




 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.