Monday, August 12, 2019

Heading to the Wind River Range


  • Date:  8-6-19
  • Day:   1 return 2019
  • Start:  1742.3
  • End:   1749.0
  • Miles: 7.3
  • Hours:   4
  • High Temp:  90
  • Low Temp:  60
  • Thru Hikers Met:  0




John and David at the start of this years CDT section hike. 
This is my 2019 return to the CDT. I expect to complete about 350 miles this hike. I will have about 900 miles left to finish.  Keep in mind that the CDT is an average of about 3100 miles. It is essentially a walk from Mexico to Canada. Every hiker will have varied mileage because there are so many alternate routes that parallel the CDT. These alternates always provid a different, fascinating and beautiful experience.  
David’s friend Charlie dropped us at our start point.  David and I meet in the CDT in 2015 in New Mexico. We have hiked together since and have remained friends. 
My CDT hike has turned from a thru hike to a section hike, I hope to complete it next year 
We are about 4.7 miles from South Pass. City. I’ve already hiked this section but am happy to join David so he can make his CDT hike complete from end to end.  
I have not been here since 2015 and yet the trail is still very familiar to me.  We are on the last of the Great Divide Basin in Wyoming and will reach the tress of the Wind River Range tomorrow. A section that will be new to both of us. 

The trail has limited growth and a nice supply of rocks

As we adjust to our hike we both agree it is refreshing to walk freely again, without the constraints of vehicles and normal life. 
In the distance is a looming storm. This approaching storm is causing us to wonder if we will encounter it. 


Open country 

We are closing in on South Pass City and the rain intensifies. I know the “city” is really a group of houses and a old town turned to a museum park. I also know the buildings in the old town are open so people to go inside, My hope is we can find refuge there if this rain increases


So we make it to sanctuary!


Looking back on the old town 

We both enjoy a beak and snack before heading out. The trail is open and crosses a wide sagebrush filled area. We press on under threatening sky’s, crossing highway 28. This is where I stopped in 2015. Another mile or so and we find a sheltered place to camp. Night draws near as we settle in to our tents.  As I drift of to a peaceful sleep a soft rain starts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.