Monday, August 21, 2017

Katahdin

  • Day:  161-162
  • Start:  2184.5
  • End:  2189.8
  • Miles:  5.3
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  53
  • Thru Hikers met:  15





I'm starting at the little orange shelter icon, elevation 1083'
Image courtesy of Guthook

I enjoy a hearty breakfast at the Appalachian Trail Cafe then make my way back to the hostel to catch the shuttle at 0630 hrs. 
I register with the ranger getting my NOBO thru hiker summit number, #433. Then I'm on the trail to the summit at 0750 hrs.  The trail starts out smooth giving me a false sense of it's true condition. Further on up the rocks start and the water runs in the trail. But none of this matters to me, I'm traveling at a strong pace with a desire that won't be quenched until I'm on top. 


Katahdin Stream Falls


Yep it's still a rocky trail

In no time it seems I'm above the tree line realizing the rocks will just be more and somewhat bigger. Still this does not deter me from my quest, I hike on, conquering every obstacle in my path. 


Looking back at the trail I came up


It's not the peak, over the top the terrain flattens out but continues for another mile plus

So Katahdin's Peak is the mountain you can see


There is the summit with the sign and people

I make the summit in 2 hours, there was no stopping me.  There are about 20 others up here with me and more coming. About half of us have completed the AT, the rest are day hikers.  I am elated at this moment, asking to help others with their pictures and receiving help with mine. There is a feeling of unity as we congratulate each other on completing the AT.  The day hikers join in on congratulations adding to the elation. 


The actual highest point on Baxter Peak





And so the adventure ends on a wonderful note. 

I take my pictures and then take my leave giving the summit over to those that are coming up. 



360 view from Katahdin




Clouds blow through as I descend 

I'm free to try another trail now as I've completed the AT from end to end. I choose to descend on the Abol trail, steeper but easier than the AT. 


My way down


Gotta go down there where there are trees

In closing this adventure, I thank my family and friends for their positive thoughts and prayers for my safe completion of the trail.  I thank the kind people who gave me rides, fed me, and housed me when I needed shelter.  Thinking back on this adventure floods my mind with the kindness, generosity and love that I encountered. 

My final thought:  when I'm now asked " are you through hiking the AT" my answer will be "I am now". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.