Thursday, August 10, 2017

Kennebec River

  • Day:  151
  • Start:  2018.2
  • End:  2038.2
  • Miles:  20.0
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  54
  • Thru Hikers met:  4


Flagstaff Lake

I'm on the trail by 0610 hrs, heading to Caratunk. The trail today is without any significant grade, it's mostly flat.  My pace is fast this morning as I'm full of energy and want to close some miles.  In a half a mile I'm at Flagstaff Lake, I can hear the loons singing their strange song from somewhere on the other side. I walk along this lake for a while then sadly I turn away. 


Nice trail this morning 

The big complaint about the AT in Maine is too many roots. I'm finding lots of roots in the trail but I can handle them just like rocks.  Another lake comes into view and I'm able to walk next to it for a while.  


West Carry Pond

There are many bog boards as they refer to them up here. I'm careful when crossing because a wet or tilted board can easily cause a spill. 


A plush bog board

In a little while I come to East Carry Pond. This is the best pond yet as there is a sandy beach access coupled with nice view. 


East Carry Pond


While walking the shore of this pretty pond I notice some blueberry bushes that are full of ripe berries.  I take a small diversion to enjoy a trailside snack.  How wonderful it is to find these right along the trail. 


Wild blueberries 

I cross another boggy area, I'm looking for a moose as they seem to enjoy the wet lands. 


No moose yet. 

The last pond I come to has a rock spillway where the ware runs through the rock gaps. 


Pierce Pond

The rock spillway and the AT

Lots of water in this part of Maine. I arrive at a pleasant waterfall and have to get a picture. 




I'm approaching the Kennebec River, this one is too big to ford and there isn't a bridge. So the ATC, has hired a canoe and oarsman. Yes a canoe ferry on the AT. The trick is to be at the bank between 0900-1400 hrs. Any time before or after that are subject to high water from the release at the dam. So I make it to the bank at 1315 hrs and there are 7 people waiting.  I'm a little concerned, but realize he can make a round trip in about 8 minutes and he can take 2 at a time. 


The Kennebec River


Canoe ferry



I happily make the last ferry crossing of the day. I sat in front and assist in rowing, what a great adventure. Caratunk is just in the other side of the river.  My resupply is at the post office and there is a nice hostel in town where I'll stay tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.