Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Wyman Peak

  • Day:  143
  • Start:  1932.9
  • End:  1943.0
  • Miles:  10.1
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  80
  • Low temp:  50
  • Thru Hikers met:  4


A quiet little stream as I start

So today is just like many other days. I'm on the trail by 0745 hrs and start a slow climb to the top of Wyman Mountain. I stop at the Hall Mountain Shelter to drop toilet paper, pickup trash and report on the water condition for Bear. The forest is mostly deciduous trees today even on the summit . As I start my descent the bugs are worse than I've seen in a long time.  I'm hiking fast to try to keep ahead of the bugs. This strategy just sort of works as these bugs are unrelenting today. Just one small view point today the rest is in the forest. 


My only view point, looking east to Maine. 

The trail levels out revealing a quiet pond with some lily pads. 


Surplus Pond

From the pond I speed up to avoid being eaten by bugs.  I reach the road where my shuttle is supposed to be and they are there. I'm in the truck quickly to avoid the insects. At last some peace and the end to another nice day in Maine. 


Honey and Bear's garden

There are other folks at the Cabin tonight from the ATC, (Appalachian Trail Conservancy).  To celebrate Honey and Bear are serving Lobster and Ribeyes. 


Bear with his lobster 

The food and company are wonderful. After, the hiker, Oddie, who creates the hiker year book brought his bus up for pictures. 


The dinner crew


From the left Oddie, Carol, Honey, Bear, and Hopper

Certainly another memorable day on the trail in Maine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.