Saturday, August 12, 2017

Bald Mountain Pond

  • Day:  152
  • Start:  2038.2
  • End:  2057.4
  • Miles:  19.2
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  54
  • Thru Hikers met:  4


Bald Mountain Pond Lean-to

I'm dropped at the trailhead at 0700 hrs, fog is drifting in the forest making the trees drip moisture. The weather forecast is for scattered showers around 1000 hrs. So about 0800 hrs a little sprinkle starts, I'm not worried as the forest absorbs most of it. Then the thunder starts and I'm hoping the heavy rain will take place elsewhere. Then the lighting flashing above me and an ear shattering peel of thunder explodes sending heavy rain.  I seek shelter under a conifer while doning my rain jacket, then I hike on. 


View from Pleasant Pond Mountain

Two mountains to climb today, they both are a just bit over 2000', really not tall at all. The first mountain, Pleasant Pond, allows me to see the sky. Lots of clouds and mist obscuring the view.  There are blueberry bushes up here providing a nice little snack. As I drop down into the forest I notice the understory is moss. 


Another rock supporting growth 



Moss everywhere 

My last climb is up Moxie Bald Mountain then a short hike down to the Bald Mountain Pond Lean-to. The shelter is close to the pond, my water source.  I arrive at 1600 hrs and wonder if I should hike on. I gather water and eat, then my question is answered because an afternoon thunderstorm arrives. As evening comes the loons sing their strange songs adding a special feeling to this place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.