Sunday, August 20, 2017

White Cap

  • Day:  156-157
  • Start:  2105.1
  • End:  2130.1
  • Miles:  25.0
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  51
  • Thru Hikers met:  8


Mt. Katahdin as viewed from White Cap Mountain 

The forcast yesterday was for rain with hail, so I stayed put and took a zero. Today is forecast is for sunny and clear skys with no rain, so I'm on the trail by 0700 hrs. Today I've got a river crossing within a mile. Given the rain last night the West Branch of the Pleasant River has not risen enough to cause any concern. 


West Branch of the Pleasant River 

The last mountain of any consequence other than Katahdin is White Cap. I start this climb and realize this will be easy because the climb is not steep.  For quite s while I hike along a delightful little stream. The water music keeps me company as I walk. 


My stream companion 

I summit White Cap Mountain and there are a couple of hikers already there. They direct me to the path for a view to the north.  When I step into the view point I realize I can see Mt  Katahdin. I now have the feelings of completion within my grasp, I'm seriously joyful at this moment. I think about my hiking friends that have already completed the trail, they must have had similar feelings when they saw Katahdin from here.  That shared experience creates a bonding between us all. 


There are several places where I spot wild blueberries, of course this means snack time. 
The forest is beautiful today, with that open feel in places and lots of moss. I come to a section that is very lumpy, rocks as big as a 55 gallon drum are covered in moss creating a soft green scene. The trail is covered deep with duff from the trees making a soft tread. 


Lumpy forest 

There are a couple of ponds on the way to my campsite.  They are the usual pleasant diversion providing a beautiful blue expanse. 


Mountian View Pond


Crawford Pond

The afternoon winds is creating waves on Crawford Pond making it look not as inviting. I check it for a possible water source and decide to seek clearer water down the trail. Within a short time I notice a clear, cold spring with a perfect place to fill my water bottles.  Now I have plenty of water for tonight and tomorrow's hike. Another 45 minutes brings me to the Copper Brook Lean-to. There are tent sites here as well, so I sellect a quiet one and setup camp. The sound of the nearby stream provides a pleasant backdrop sound to my site.  The 100 mile Wilderness is pretty and very quiet, it is a great way to finish this trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.