Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Baldpate

  • Day:  142
  • Start:  1922.6
  • End:  1932.9
  • Miles:  10.3
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  52
  • Thru Hikers met:  4


Bear made this sign. 

0700 hrs sharp breakfast was served.  A full sit down fresh prepared meal consisting of scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, blueberry pancakes with extra blueberries.  
I'm on the trail by 0800 hrs hiking up to the Baldpates Peaks. This morning the air is soft and moist from a rain yesterday evening. Of course the rocks are still damp, so each step is carefully placed.  I reach the top of Baldpate West Peak before I realize it. That's one thing about a steep climb, you get there fast.  Once on top the trail appears as if it is paved because of the continuous rock. 


It's not really paved

Just past the summit which is covered in trees there is a nice open space allowing for good views.  I can see across the small valley to the next peak and the trail winding up the open granite. 


In short order I'm now walking this open granite to the top of Baldpate East Peak.  


Just walk right up it. 

I stop just short of the top to get a 360 shot as I can see the top will have its views obscured by some trees. The air temperature is perfect and there is just the slightest breeze making my visit to the peaks a pleasant one. 


Looking back to the West Peak from the East Peak


After enjoying the views and soaking up the solitude I start my long descent down.  Yes the wet steep granite is there along with a couple of welcome ladders. I carefully work the granite seeking good footholds and at times getting handhold assistance from nearby trees. Once the tread levels out I can increase my pace and walk comfortably. The forest changes several times from mixed dominate conifers to dominate deciduous. The sunlight happily dapples the forest floor and at times the light is tinted a light green from the leaves above. 



Dappeling sunlight



A pretty addition to the trailside flora 

As my hike draws to an end I reach a pleasant waterfall. 


Dunn Cascades

Just before the road and my pickup point is another pretty waterfall



Honey is there on schedule to wisk me back to the Cabin.  I shower and go upstairs to see if I can assist. I'm delegated the job of grilling hotdogs. We have a wonderful meal of dogs, beans, fresh squash, coleslaw and baked brown bread.  A smaller group of hikers tonight, but still s nice evening dinner conversation. 
Another splendid day in Maine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.