Monday, July 31, 2017

Mahoosuc

  • Day:  141
  • Start:  1912.9
  • End:  1922.6
  • Miles:  9.7
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  72
  • Low temp:  52
  • Thru Hikers met:  3


 I'm on the right

Hermit was thoughtful setting up his tent on just half of the tenting platform leaving room for me to setup. Few are stirring at 0530 hrs as I rise. The sun is peeking through the trees with its orange morning light. 
I'm on the trail by 0600 hrs. I climb to a ridge then drop down into the Notch. 

From the top of my first climb. A nice slab of horizontal rock. 

The Mahoosuc Notch, a narrow canyon filled with enormous rocks. The trail goes over and under these rocks, this is something that I have not seen on the trail before. 


Mahoosuc Notch


So I rested my pack and crawled through to the other side


Yet another crawl through spot, I was able to keep my pack on for this one

I hop from big rock to big rock, I ease myself down to the floor and climb out, I crawl under enormous boulders to the other side. I do this again and again until one hour later I've made it through. 
One half of the day's challenge is complete, now I face the 1600' climb up the Mahoosuc Arm.  This is steep, I climb up to a rock slab then carefully walk it to its top, then I do it again and again until relief enters my mind as I realize I'm at the top. Sweat dripping from my brow and salt stinging my eyes. I completed the second challenge of the day.  Now a rest and some food before continuing on. 


Speck Pond, I follow this around to the right to have lunch at the shelter

After hiking up Old Speck to the view point I descent a 3 mile section to Grafton Notch and ME rte 26. On the way down a nice little waterfall makes itself known. 

I like the little rivulets of water 

In Andover is a hostel called the Cabin operated by Honey and Bear. I'm planning on heading there when I get to the Notch. I reach the Notch parking lot and walk to the entry drive. I ask for a ride as I swing my pack to the ground. A car with one available seat comes out of the parking lot. The passenger asks "where are you going?"  I tell them and it is where they are going. On the way we stop at a self serve pie stand, where besides pies they offer maple cream filled cookie sandwiches and whoppie pies. I try the cookie sandwich which is delicious. 


Self serve pies

The local food inspector stops by to get something. He has just finished inspecting the pie shop operation and reports they are perfect. 

Honey and Bear

They are hikers in their 80s. They are the nicest and most wonderful people to get to know. 


The Cabin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.