Sunday, July 23, 2017

South Kinsman

  • Day:  130
  • Start:  1800.3
  • End:  1813.7
  • Miles:  13.4
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  71
  • Low temp:  60
  • Thru Hikers met:  13

  Hikers Welcome Hostel


Common room. J2 (tan shirt) and Duke (orange shirt) at end of table. 

Shower, laundry and toilet facility 

Outdoor eating area

I'm on the trail by 0800 hrs facing a 2480' elevation gain to South Kinsman Mountain.  The morning section has a climb to a small peak called Wolf Mountain. On my way up to Kinsman Mountain I discover a pleasant stream called Eliza Brook. As I ascend I'm able to enjoy the stream with its pools and waterfalls for about a mile. 

A nice pool and little waterfall on Elisa Brook

The trail levels for a little in the meadow

Now it's time to be serious about climbing. The trail is a rocky wash and is very steep. 

This is how it starts and just gets steeper

As I near the last mile to the top I am having to use my hands to assist me in scrambling up and the bigger rocks. The trail is very slow making my progress less than usual.  
I manage the Lookout just prior to the top. A beautiful day and splendid views. I linger here enjoying the beautiful view and some food. 

 Eastern view from South Kinsman Mountain 

Looking north from South Kinsman 

Landscape as I descend 

The tail down is just as challenging and steep. Sometimes the wooden steps have been attached to the slabs. Sometimes there are foot steps cut into the slabs. Lots of the time trees are used to assist in the descent. 

Wooden steps

Looking back up the trail 

The day is drawing to a close as I reach the Lonesome Lake Hut.  It's 1700 hrs. and I'm tired from today's hike.  I get some soup and bread, which is very good given it's hot and in the wilderness. 
The Appalachian Mountain Club operates little full service lodges that people can hike to. There are bunks, toilets, water, dinner and breakfast. No showers or laundry are available. They offer "work for stay" to the first two thru hikers.  The work is little but usually something the staff doesn't like doing.  I thought I'd try it out.  For some kitchen work I was able to stay and have dinner.  

Inside the main lodge kitchen and dining area

A very nice composting outhouse with cool running water to wash. 

After a hard, challenging day I'm glad to have a nice meal and place to stay. 



 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.