Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Moose Mountain

  • Day:  127
  • Start:  1746.7
  • End:  1766.8
  • Miles:  20.1
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  69
  • Thru Hikers met:  3

Pastor Jennie, with Starbucks just behind her, dropping me off on the trail. 

I slept on a mattress on the meeting room floor. I had the entire room to myself as the 5 others sleeping in the building slept downstairs in the basement.  I found the basement musty so I opted for the upstairs.  I slept well not being disturbed by others. 
Pastor Jennie had coffee on in the house where the rest of the hikers stayed. I enjoyed a couple of cups of coffee then got a ride to the trail head, (for me anyway it is the Starbucks corner).   
But first I walked a half a block to Lou's to meet J2 for breakfast.  We plan our strategy for the White Mountain National Forest known simply as the Whites.  J2 says he will start later today so I take my leave wishing him a great hike and promising to send him any information I gather about the trail or hostels. 
The next mile is a road walk to the edge of town. I follow the trail along the edge of a baseball field and now finally into the forest.  Once I to the forest I meet Duke, we hike loosely together for the rest of the day. 


View over catails from a short boardwalk 

I can see through the trees I'm coming to a road.  Then I notice I'm skirting an old graveyard. 


The trail is just behind the cemetery in the trees

Today I have a climb up Moose Mountain, 2290' at a gain of about 1500'.  The 1500' seems a little bit high making for a rigorous hike. Well there are 3 mountains in the Whites that make today's challenge look like a hill.  On the way up I enter a field filled with tall weeds. Not much of a view and the sun is hot.  When I make the south summit there is a nice ledge to rest on and enjoy the view 


My view from the south summit of Moose Mountain 

On the way between the south summit and the north one there is a start of rain. I don't get much on me as it seems I'm on the edge of the storm. The trail in front of me gets wet, so there are now wet rocks and mud. The north summit does not sport any views. But the slick rocks going down are wet from the rain. Careful attention is required for crossing these huge slick rocks.  Finally, I'm at the bottom and there is a beaver pond. The trail skirts the dam, which is now old and growing vegetation.  What is interesting is the trail is below the water level of the pond as I walk by. 

The pond is now really some waterways in this boggy area. 

There is one last climb up to Holt Ledge that offers a nice view to the east. 


View from Holt Ledge, mile 1763.7

Now the day is getting old and I'm looking for a campsite that can accommodate two. Duke is behind me and wants to end his day at the same place. I collect water for tomorrow's climb and then continue down the trail.  Within a short time I locate a very nice campsite that could fit three.  Another wonderful day on the trail complete with a proper breakfast to start. 




  



 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.