Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Pinkham Notch

  • Day:  136
  • Start:  1855.4
  • End:  1870.4
  • Miles:  16
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  36
  • Thru Hikers met:  3


 Lakes of the Clouds Hut

The best hut yet, the dining area has a wonderful view to the west.  I eat with my bunk mates, a group of 4 people about my age on vacation from Arizona. A very nice group.  The recent storm was the hot topic, my bunkmates tried to go 5 miles from one hut to Lakes of the Clouds. Joe the only male in the group was blown off the trail by a massive gust causing him to stike his head and ending up with a slight concussion.  All their gear was hanging in the bunkroom creating a wet boot smell.  So glad I didn't waste my day and miss all the beauty. 


The reception desk with the dining room

Right after breakfast I'm on the trail at 0730 hrs. My plan is to summit Mt Washington then hike out to Pinkham Notch. The morning is quiet and beautiful not very cold at all. 



The lakes of the cloud


Thankful it's a good day. 

The trail up is just rocks but this trail feels normal to me and I make good time.  


Looking back to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut


That's the Hut I just left 

Within an hour I'm on the summit and to my delight there are only 3 tourists here. 


It's the original restaurant 


Inside the original restaurant 


The dining room


Actually had to wear sunglasses today



The cog train platform 


On my way down

After enjoying the quiet summit all to myself I started my hike down. The trail is a rock hop for miles until the tree line. 
I see dark smoke to my left and realize cog trail is making its slow run up the mountain. I can hear the tapping of the cogs as they grip the teeth, I can smell the coal smoke used to fire the boiler. 


This machine is loud as it moves up the grade






A western view


Madison Spring Hut

I arrive at Madison Spring Hut at noon a perfect time to get a bowl of soup and refill my water bottle. There are many hikers sitting outside eating their lunch in the sunshine.  
Another very steep climb to Mt Madison and then the steep descent starts. 


The descent takes more time because of the slow placement of my steps. After what seems like a great while I reach the timberline. Now I'm in a tree lined channel and these rocks are wet, I still can't move any faster.   The descent is 3113' no wonder it just keeps going on. I get to the bottom and have 5 miles to the Notch.  Now there are streams and the deeper lowland forest. 


A particularly nice waterfall. 

I reach the Joe Dodge Lodge in time for a shower and dinner.  Forcast rain again for tomorrow so I will probably stay. 


Joe Dodge Lodge


The AMC Visitor Center


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.