Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Lakes of the Clouds Hut

  • Day:  134-135
  • Start:  1844.4
  • End:  1855.4
  • Miles:  11.0
  • Hours:  6
  • High temp:  60
  • Low temp:  45
  • Thru Hikers met:  2

AMC Center at Crawford Notch

So my 134 day is spent at the AMC Center avoiding the severe weather.  I enjoy the day relaxing in the living room with a nice fire going, having the availability of prepared food and taking a rejuvenating nap. 

View looking out the living room windows towards the Notch

Living room

Dining room

Kitchen

The bunk house was new and nicely appointed. They provide a rack to hang your towel and plenty of outlets so guests can charge devices while in bed. 


Bunkhouse


Bunkhouse common area

Last night the storm rattled the window by my bunk, actually a comforting sound as I was snug and warm. 

View on Monday towards the Notch from the bunkhouse steps


View on Tuesday towards the Notch from the path to the bunkhouse. Not much difference yet

I've made plans to depart today to a Hut 11 miles up the grade.  The forecast is for clearing this afternoon so I hope to have some views on the way up. The short day will allow me to summit Mt Washington and head out to Pinkham Notch tomorrow. 
I'm on the trail by 1130 hrs, and the weather is calming down nicely.  The area I'm entering is still considered the Whites but this group of mountains is called the Presidential Range as many of the mountains are named after presidents. 


Just starting on the way up

The first effort is to climb to the Webster Cliffs, a truly steep climb.  Once I'm at the Cliffs the view is spectacular. 


The trail goes back into the forest then comes out again at another view point.  This delightful pattern is repeated many times resulting in slightly different views. 

The pleasant forest walk. 


Mt. Webster 


The hike away from the Cliffs starts in an alpine forest. I'm enjoying the dramatic sky and lighting today. The temperature is mild with just a hint if s breeze. 

Alpine section with dramatic sky


Mt. Washington in the distance

I can see Mt. Washington, I plan to summit tomorrow. Summiting may sound like a big deal and it is when one hikes it, but this mountain is accessible by car and cog railway, so lots of people might be there. Plus there is a snack bar on the summit. 


Looking east


The lighting is wonderful today 


Looking south


Looking east


Mt. Washington is much closer now


Mt. Monroe

As I round Mr. Monroe the Hut comes into view. I'm delighted as it is perched with a terrific view. 


Lakes of the Clouds Hut. 

I'm in time for dinner, it's in a half an hour. I get my bunk and freshen up to eat.  This Hut can hold 96 guests. The bunks are about 6 to a room. I'm in a room already occupied with 4 people. My bunk is on the 3rd level, I've never seen 3 levels of bunks before. Dinner is great and I eat my fill. The food is served family style and we all sit at long tables with benches like picnic tables. I share my meal with some wonderful people. The dining room has a splendid view of mountian, valley and the beautiful sky. 


Dining room

As dinner draws to a close the clouds close in around the hut. Shortly after dinner I'm ready for bead. I climb into my high bunk, settling in for the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.