Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Bascom Lodge

  • The Day:  115
  • Start:  1568.5
  • End:  1586.0
  • Miles:  17.5
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  61
  • Thru Hikers met:  0

Mt. Greylock War Memorial 

Explosions occurred all around the town of Dalton, however the fireworks were not visible to me. So as tired as I am, I just go to sleep with the serenade of explosions in the background. 
By 0600 hrs Tom brings out some coffee and pastries The 4 of us that are awake enjoy morning conversation and the offerings.  By 0630 hrs I'm on the trail which is the sidewalk in front of Tom's house.  The trail goes through town and a breakfast place is easily accessible.  I start my day with my usual omelet and water, now I'm really ready to hike.  I have an ascent which is like a big up and over to Cheshire 10 miles away.  

Tom's home

The hiker camping area

The trail north from Tom's 

The Housatonic River



Dalton's Cafe

The trail this morning is fast, I encounter a couple of ponds along the way. The bullfrogs always great me with this croak that sounds like a lazy burp. I just have to smile every time I hear them.  

The bullfrog pond

A view of western Massachusetts 

I descend into the town of Cheshire walking through residential streets to the post office.  I have a small resupply box here that I retrieve, sort out then stow in my food bag. 

The post office of Cheshire

There is a tiny little building here called Diane's Twist. She offers sandwiches and ice cream.  I decide on a roast beef on rye with the works and a coffee shake.  Diane owns the Twist and another Diane, a 70+ year old woman, makes the sandwiches. She makes a wonderful sandwich for me and lets me pay later when I come in for my shake. There are picnic tables outside under a shade tree where I enjoy my food. 
It's noon now and I have to move on. There is a significant climb ahead of me to Mt. Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts.  I leave with a small dread of this long climb ahead.  As I leave town I cross through a corn field, then another field. The sun is hot on me and I consider using my umbrella for shade, but there is the forest and relief. 

The hot corn field 

And another hot field 

As I approach the summit I come upon a small pond with an interesting shelter on the other shore.


 On the summit of Mt Greylock is a moving monument dedicated to the sons of Massachusetts who gave their lives defending our country 




There is a lodge here as well where I have an early supper.  While charging my phone I realize that there are bunk rooms here for hikers. I cut my hiking day short to stay at this memorable place. 

Bascom Lodge 

The Lodge great room

The dining room

A view from the dining room


 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.