Thursday, July 20, 2017

Moosilauke

  • Day:  129
  • Start:  1781.3
  • End:  1800.3
  • Miles:  19.0
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  73
  • Low temp:  66
  • Thru Hikers met:  6

  
Alongside the trail today

I'm on the trail by 0830 hrs and Moosilauke, elevation 4802', waits ahead of me with an elevation gain of 2950'.   Even at under 5000' this mountain has a timberline and alpine trees.  If the weather is clear I should have a good 360 view without climbing a fire tower.  There is a waterfall running along side the trail adding to the drama of this climb. 

Beaver Brook Falls






Now the trail turns to rock and starts a steeper climb. 

This is the trail condition

Now the climb becomes steep with each step raising me in elevation fast.  My focus becomes intent upon taking each step carefully.  I'm making sure to select places to step that at safe from slipping. Additionally the trail narrows with the waterfall canyon edge is right there.  Fear can easily creep in causing a loss of focus.  I approach a huge granite slab the is at a very steep grade, so steep it is not passable without assistance.  The trail builders have secured wooden blocks to the rock face.  These blocks are cut at an angle to mate with the angle of the grade thus making a level step.  I slowing climb up this granite face on wooden blocks with the roaring waterfall in the canyon below trying to remind me the consequences of error.   Perhaps 20' later I reach to top with the tail turning away from the canyon.  I climb for an hour or more then I hit a level section with a shelter off in the forest.  I rapidly traverse this level section, happy that I have a bit of a rest.  The trees become smaller and take on an alpine feel. Then the trees are gone and rocks are all that is left. 


The top is so close 

My pace quickens as I'm anxious to reach the summit. 


The summit at last


After a snack and enjoyment of the view I head down. The rocky trail turns to a tree lined path for awhile that is very nice to walk upon. 

These trees are so dense it is not possible to slip into the forest. 

The AT veers off and down becoming a rocky descent. No waterfall here though. 






After a couple hours of conscious foot placement I'm leveling out and the hiking is more relaxed. 


These flowers have a wonderful scent. 

I cross a wide stream on a skinny log with some stones as backup. Appearently just recently a summer storm came through the dropped 2" to 3" of water in about 1.5 hours according to the hostel helper, Loin King.  This stormr swept the crossing stones away in a mighty flood.  



I round out my day by finishing the 10 mile section I missed when I got a ride to the hostel yesterday.  I am able to arrive just before the last shuttle to the store for dinner.  I very intense and satisfying day. 
J2 and Duke have arrived so we are able to relax outside at the picnic table enjoying each others company. 


 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.