Saturday, July 29, 2017

Carter Notch Hut

  • Day:  137 - 138
  • Start:  1870.4
  • End:  1876.3
  • Miles:  5.9
  • Hours:  4.5
  • High temp:  58
  • Low temp:  54
  • Thru Hikers met:  3

 

The Joe Dodge Lodge and AMC Visitor Center

Another storm system is keeping me grounded for day 137. I don't like losing another hiking day, however It works out as I'm waiting for a box to be delivered with new clothing.  I need to send about 2 lbs of stuff home so I ask for a ride to town about 6 miles away. In town I mail my items home, redirect my resupply box to the hostel at the next highway crossing and get to Walmart.  After resuppling I work my way back up to the Notch. I treat my new clothes with permethrin to ward off ticks. With my new clothes I don't look like a hiker anymore.   Not sure if that's a good thing or not. 
A day well spent tending to hiking support issues. 
For day 138 I enjoy a hearty breakfast this morning enough to fuel me to my next destination.  I plan on hiking up a steep grade to Wildcat Mountain then dropping down to the Carter Notch Hut where I'll stay the night.  
I'm on the trail causally at 0730 hrs. What is very nice is the lodge is right on the trail, so to continue I just walk across the highway and start hiking the AT.  For a while I hike along a stream with some beaver activity. 

This pretty little stream is my morning companion. 

Lost Pond


The beavers must have dropped the tree in the snow

As the trail turns away from the water the climb begins. It is darn steep but there are some early views to enjoy. 


Looking south from a ledge, NH rte 16



Hard to illustrate the streepness in a picture

Two hours later I'm at Wildcat summit, there is a nice view to the northeast. 


Carter Not h Hut below 


The hut is at the bottom of the Notch so there is a mile hike down. It is situated around some pretty little lakes. 


Lake 1


Lake 2

A little further and I'm at the hut. It is an old stone structure housing the common room and kitchen. 


The main Hut


The common room


The kitchen 

There are two bunk houses housing  20 each. 


My bunk house


My bunk room and bunk

So the privy is new and has running cold water plus soap.  Really all the huts have this convenience. 


 Privy 

I've been seeing 3 NOBO, (north bound) hikers for several days now. They are very nice young people and I'm always glad to see them. 


From the left, Dirty Harry, Ice, and Soda

The interesting thing about ice is I met her last year Scout and Frodo's home.  She hiked the PCT last year and now she and Soda are hiking the AT. 
At 1830 hrs we all assembled in the common room for a delicious dinner. Pleasant hiking conversation was had by all. Another wonderful day in the Whites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.