Monday, July 31, 2017

Full Goose

  • Day:  140
  • Start:  1891.6
  • End:  1912.9
  • Miles:  21.3
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  65
  • Low temp:  45
  • Thru Hikers met:  18

 

Almost looks like the Sierras

Waffles at 0630 hrs with real maple syrup, butter and coffee. I miss my eggs and bacon, but that's what we are having for breakfast at the hostel. I'm on the trail by 0730 hrs which is right out the door.  I really like these hostels that are on the trail.  The climb this morning is easy compared to what I've been doing. My goal is to hike 21 miles to the Full Goose Shelter.  Because the hiking is easy even with climbs I feel this should be an easy goal.  
There is a high percentage of mica in some of the rocks. When the sun hits the ground and rocks there is a sparkling that makes me feel like I'm walking in the stars. 


Found some large pieces of mica

The forest is dense with a lush understory and conifers. 
I walk over many boardwalks, but now I'm more concerned about bogs under these wooden planks.  I've seen a few already where my poles sink into deep mud.  I really don't want to miss a step and put my foot into this mess. So I'm using extra caution when I cross the boardwalks now. 



I come upon a lake complete with serenading frogs. Their lazy belch sound just makes me laugh. 


Page Pond


Upper Gentian Pond

The next lake I come to, Upper Gentian Pond, provides me with a nice break spot. 
The trail is nice with a soft tread in a few areas, then come the slabs to walk and they are seldom horizontal.  I reach the summit of Mt Success. I have a nice 360 view, so I take my break here enjoying the beautiful scenery. 


Now two significant things happened today, the first is I've completed over 1900 miles and the second is I'm now in Maine, the final state on the trail. 


Maine!

I'm delighted about reaching the final state. This is the first time I've been in Maine, so it's a double treat.  Shortly after crossing the boarder I come to a steep rock climb with assists. 


Steel grab bars in the rock


Well it does make the climb more simple

All the SOBOs are now saying,"enjoy Maine", in a way that suggest it's a death sentence. . I don't have the heart to tell them that it's not over. While the technical rock scaling is less, each state is still full of difficulties and challenges, it's just not going to be easy.  I make the summit of Goose Eye East Peak and enjoy another nice view. The day uis drawing to a close for me. It's already 1800 hrs and I'm tired. I just finished the last of my food for the day. I've got  2.5 miles before the shelter. This last bit is taking a long time, I haven't done 20 miles in since entering the Whites. 


A couple more alpine bogs to cross. On both boardwalks each has s spot wher the mud has flowed over the wood planks. I gingerly test the mud with my trekking pole for solid footing before making my leap of faith. I have passed unscathed except for some mud on my boots. 


In the shade is one of the muddy planks

I reach the shelter and it is packed with people, perhaps about 20 people here. We are a mixed bunch, NOBOs and SOBOs. This shelter is just prior to the Mahoosuc Notch which has huge boulders for .8 mile. Thus is a challenging crossing which is followed by the Mahoosuc Arm a 2 mile difficult climb. So we NOBOs have assembled here as a staging area to start our day tomorrow, the SOBOs have made it here through the Mahoosuc challenge and are tired. 
A good day with nice views   I'm really ready to rest now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.