Thursday, July 20, 2017

Smarts Mountain

  • Day:  128
  • Start:  1766.8
  • End:  1781.3
  • Miles:  14.6
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  60
  • Thru Hikers met:  9


  View from Lambert Ridge of southeastern New Hampshire 

On the trail by 0545 hrs this morning.  Got a climb ahead of me to Smarts Mountain, ele. 3236'.   My climb starts in just a short distance from our campsite.  I get to an overlook with Smarts Mountain as the main view.  I can see the fire tower on top form this location. 


Smarts Mountain

A huge summer storm has left a muddy trail in many places. 


We are all so tired the mud

The top is covered with trees, but there is a fire tower that is accessible. I climb the tower and push open a wooden door in the floor of the tower. Once in the tower the door shuts becoming a part of the floor. 




Views from Smarts Mountain fire tower

There is a nice shelter close to the tower. This one looks like a nice little house. 


 Smarts Mountain Shelter

Now a descend then another climb up Mount Cube, ele. 2909'.  


Jacob's Brook

I cross Jacob's Brook then start my ascent to Mount Cube. 
There is a nice view to the west from the summit. 

Mount Cube view with me in it


After descending I reach route NH 25A. I've got 10 more miles to hike to make the hostel tonight. I check my time and calculate I'll arrive around 2000 hrs., much alter than I would like. I decide to ask for a ride. Detour and Izzy arrive and join me in asking. They are a pleasant couple I met at the Yellow Deli.  Thankfully we secure a ride to the hostel and on the way we stop for ice cream at Moose Scoops in Warren.  I'm tired so this hostel is a blessing. A hot shower, clean clothes and some food from the local deli. A good end to a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.