Sunday, July 2, 2017

Slippery Rocks

  • Day:  112 - 113
  • Start:  1504.9
  • End:  1520.6
  • Miles:  15.7
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  83
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru Hikers met:  1

The highest peak in Connecticut 

The forest is still wet from last nights big rain. My feet are wet already.  The challenging part this morning is climbing two peaks with slippery rocks as the trail.  I have to choose my steps carefully and place the force of my step directly down to avoid slipping.  The first peak is Bear Mountain, (it's a different Bear Mountain than the one I climbed by Fort Montgomery). There is a monument of rocks on top signifying that this is the highest peak in Connecticut.  The view on top is completely obscured by the mist below, so I dont even bother taking a picture. 

Slippery rocks

Finally down the Bear Mountain peak I'm in a little rain forest valley. The forest has the wonderful scent of the Washington Ho rain forest and the California coastal redwoods.  That damp, earthy, moist freshness that reminds me of special family outings. 


A nice stream running through this valley


The mist adds to the rain forest feel

As does the moss around the water falls

As I climb the next peak, Mt. Race, I see a small snake on the trail.  He is docile and not angry at all.  He moves to the side out of my way. 

Interesting little snake

Getting close to the summit the trail emerges into the Mt. Race Ledges.  There is a prolonged view of northeastern Massachusetts complete with the morning mist. 


Mt. Race Ledges 

Another slippery rock descent and finally I'm in a flatter forest with a good tread. 

I love the light on the trail shots 



I emerge into a few pastures that are a pleasure to briefly walk through.  The sun's heat combined with the 90% humidity today makes me want to hurry through the open areas for the shade of the forest.  I am starting to get some random rain drops, this hurries my step. 

These rock walls are prevalent throughout the AT. 

The little flowers offered such and intense color splash along the trail. 

I arrive at MA route 7, my way into town and my resupply. The forecasted rain this afternoon looks like a reality. Great Barrington is a very spread out town and my motel is about 3 miles away.  I start walking the highway as I contemplate the 3 mile road walk in the open sun.  I ask for a ride from the busy highway traffic and Dorothy, a 90 year old, stops to help me. She has a grandson that likes to climb and hike. I remind her of him, it is not lost on me that my grandmother's name was Dorothy.  She is quite proud that her drivers license that has just been renewed for another 5 years. I feel 'almost' completely comfortable with her driving. We enjoy a pleasant conversation as she drives me to my motel. 
My first concern is to shower so I feel comfortable again. As I exit my motel room to get my laundry done I see that heavy rain is coming down.  I am thankful that I missed this downpour.  My quick pace with intention to avoid hiking in the rain was justified.  Now to errands and a zero tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.