Friday, July 14, 2017

Scout


  • Day:  123 - 124
  • Start:  1690.0
  • End:  1700.8
  • Miles:  10.2
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  66
  • Low temp:  57
  • Thru Hikers met:  5

  

Met Scout today

Somewhere around 0400 hrs I heard the rain start. By the time my alarm went off the rain was coming down with intent.  I waited until the rain quit before heading out at 1030 hrs. Still the creeks are swollen and water runs down the trail in many places. I start my 4 mile climb to the top of Mt Killington in a forest that is misty and dripping.  I've got my rain gear on and in a short while my shirt is soaked.  The climb goes better than expected and I'm about a .5 from the top.  A hiker steps aside to allow me to climb on by. I look up and say 'Scout'!  We both knew we were getting close to each other, but the exact location was not known. We have a joyful reunion share some brief thoughts and lament the fact we weren't about to meet in a town for more time. I truly enjoy Scout, he has a wonderful spirit.  We part, fighting back the mist in our eyes, with soulful wishes to each other for the best trail experience. 
On top I take a short break then head down before the mosquitos bite. 

In the clouds

The forest is damp and so am I.  I'm finding it difficult to keep my phone screen dry. So if it becomes too wet it won't respond to my touch, very frustrating. The trail drops for about 5 miles. 

The understory is like a garden here

A little stream just before the trailhead 

I step into the stream to wash the mud from my rain pants and boots.  I figure I stand a better chance of getting a ride to town if I'm not a muddy mess.  Zorba arrives so we both cross the highway and ask for a ride. In a short time we get our ride directly to the hostel.  
Everyone says, "stay at the Yellow Deli Hostel its great".  I really am thinking about a hotel room with a tub to get a good Epsom salt soak in.  I relented a because our ride would take us directly to the Yellow Deli. I'm so glad I did because this place is wonderful and the food is simply great.  

The Yellow Deli Restaurant 

The other side of the restaurant is very comfortable as well. 

The hostel is located upstairs and run by the same folks. Very nice people here and a very nice comfortable feel to the hostel.  There is a sense of peace and comfort in this place that seems to pervade to every corner. We all are feeling like we don't want to leave.  I need to complete some chores plus replace my shirt. I tried a Columbia Omni-Freeze with the hope I would stay cooler.  Yes this shirt will work if you are on the water somewhere but for hiking in humidity without a breeze it simply becomes soaked.  






 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.