Thursday, July 13, 2017

Governor Clement Shelter

  • Day:  122
  • Start:  1668.4
  • End:  1690.0
  • Miles:  21.6
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  64
  • Thru Hikers met:  4

Little Rock Pond

My ride gets me back in the trail at 0745 hrs. I feel like most of the morning is gone starting this late.  The trail is fairly easy this morning.  I pass by a small stream with some nice waterfalls. 







Little Rock Pond 

I arrive at Little Rock Pond in time to get some pictures before the breeze ripples the surface.  A little further on I come to small bridge with the sun on the water.  I'm delighted that the sun is shining because the forecast is for rain. 



Then further on to a couple of places called the rock garden. People have stacked rocks again, I'm not sure what compels folks to do this. 

Rock Garden 1


Rock Garden 2

About noon I come to a larger stream cascading down a canyon.  I rest here for a while enjoying the water as I take a meal.  

Bully Brook

The air today is still and the humidity is 89.  Every exertion makes me sweat.  Because the humidity is high and there is no breeze my clothing is having difficulty drying.  
I reach a view point that looks to the west. There is an airport that consumes most of the view.  I think the scenery is better without the airport in the shot.  This is really the first trail view all day. 


Airport Lookout

I descend into Clarendon Gorge and to my surprise there are trail angels with some magic.  Cyclops and McGrooder are hosting. They completed the AT last year.  They are offering hamburgers, hot dogs, watermelon, raw vegetables, chips and cold drinks including some beer.  There are chairs as well. What a great magical afternoon. Cyclops and McGrooder are hoping to do the PCT next year. I tell them I may see them in San Diego and I could help in Washington.  I enjoy conversing with them and the other hikers but it's time to move on. I say my heartfelt thanks and cross the bridge. 

Trail Magic at the Gorge


Looking back towards the trail magic campground 


Looking into the Gorge 

From here I've got some climbs and about 7 more miles before I make the shelter I plan to stay at.  The threat of rain has me planning on sleeping in a shelter tonight.  

Part of the climb is by these enormous rocks. 

View to the west from Clarendon Lookout

The trail still climbs but it is now gradual and the tread is needle covered in many places creating a softer feel.  Almost to the Governor Clement Shelter I pop out into a pleasant field. 

Right on Upper Cold River Road. 

I arrive at the shelter to find I'm the only one here. It feels a little strange to be by myself at a shelter.  About an hour later another hiker arrives. It is just the two of us tonight.  As darkness falls welcome sleep greats me. 







  



 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.