Monday, July 17, 2017

Balds

  • Day:  126
  • Start:  1719.8
  • End:  1741.8
  • Miles:  22.0
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  664
  • Thru Hikers met:  3

  

Something beautiful along the trail 

J2 and I get dropped at the trail at 0900 hrs. Soooo late as I could have 6 miles done already.  The sun is shining today and the temperature is fairly nice. A good day for hiking. 

Sun dappled trail, nice. 

In just a couple of miles I come to VT 12. Just down the road is a nice store called, On The Edge Farm.  I get a early lunch or late second breakfast depends on how you look at it. 

Blueberry individual pie, yes!

The store is very nice, they offer water, lots of food, trash and a privy.   
Back on the trail with lots of little climbs, some very steep. Just about each climb ends in a view on a kind of bald.  I say 'kind of',  because there are tall weeds with a trail threading through. 






   


That's how many balds there are today. Nice to see the views, also made me appreciate the cool of the forest.  There are some nice flowers appearing to today in these balds. 




The trail drops into West Hartford for a bit of a road walk. 


West Hartford is really a crossing in the roads

 I walk across a bridge over the White River then through a couple of tunnels under US 89. I'm back in the forest heading for the Happy Hill Shelter.  The light is starting to fade as the sun is low in the sky.  I arrive at the shelter about 1900 hrs. There are already 9 hikers camping and 1 in the shelter. Even though the forcast is for some rain tonight I decide to camp. I always sleep better in my tent.  I find a great place in the leaves with drainage on all sides, perfect.  A long enjoyable day.  I settle in and quickly fall asleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.