Sunday, July 23, 2017

Crawford Notch

  • Day:  133
  • Start:  1829.8
  • End:  1844.4
  • Miles:  14.6
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  68
  • Low temp:  58
  • Thru Hikers met:  1

 
Franconia Ridge as viewed from South Twin Mountain, ele 4902'

So I've never experienced this before, when I setup last night I discovered slugs had stuck to my ground cloth when I packed it last time.  Dead slugs have a mist unpleasant odor, I don't care for it. I cleaned the cloth where the slugs where, I'm hoping the dampness of the ground will draw the rest of the smell away. 
On the trail by 0545 hrs. and I have an immediate 800' climb to South Twin Mountain.  The climb went fast and the view is very nice this morning. I'm alone up here and everything is quiet.  

My way off South Twin Mountain

The trail today is surprisingly easy, yes there are still sone darn rocks to navigate but mostly it's a great trail. 

Way over there is South Twin Mountain 

The way north 

I'm making good time, so the thought occurs that I may be able to get breakfast leftovers at the next Hut, Zealand Falls. 

It's not paved it's a rock slab

My descent to Zealand Falls Hut is easy.  When I'm just about there I cross a nice little stream running over granite. 


I arrive at the Hut in time to have leftovers.  If you are a thru hiker the staff will give you any breakfast leftovers. I'm presented with some scrambled eggs, peaches and a huge serving bowl of oatmeal.  The staff is very friendly making me feel comfortable and at home. I enjoy some warm coffee and a few baked goods to round out the meal.  Yes it was leftovers and yes it was not hot, but I didn't even realize the temperature until I was half way through.  It just seems so civilized to eat food at a table with utensils I don't even notice the condition of my meal.  

Baked goods

The dining room and kitchen. The bunk rooms are on each side


Zealand Falls Hut

Now another 8 miles to Crawford Notch and sanctuary from the forecasted storm. 


Under the far mountains below the shadow is a small white spot, that's the Zealand Falls Hut 


The trail ahead

I'm enjoying the trail out with it's casual tread and scenery. I take a short side trail to Thoreau Falls. 






Thoreau Falls with a nice bathing spot


This river kept me company for a while

I can hear the traffic on NH rt 302 about 2 miles up the mountain.  Once I make the Notch I notice I don't have cell reception so I decide to ask for a ride to town. Just then the Appalachian Mountain Club shuttle arrives with an expensive ride to the AMC Center and lodge. So they have food, a bunk, a shower, power for charging my phone, and toilets, I decide to go ias t is close and a good place to ride out the storm. 


AMC Center


The bunkhouse 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.