Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Mt. Stratton

  • Day:  120
  • Start:  1632.2
  • End:  1650.7
  • Miles:  18.5
  • Hours:  10
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  59
  • Thru Hikers met:  2

  

Pleasant little waterfall

Quietly I pack my gear, leaving the campsite with the two sleeping hikers.  I'm a little late this morning getting on the trail at 0545 hrs.  A good climb up Mt Stratton, at 3940'. Towards the top the wonderful scent of balsam is in the air.  On top there is a fire tower that is accessible by the public.  As I climb the exposed stairs the wind becomes stronger, starting to chill me. Upon reaching the top I discover the cabin is enclosed in glass, the cool wind is no longer a problem. The mountains to the east are row upon row with different shades of blue defining each row. I can see the splendid tower on Mt Greylock all the way back in Massachusetts.  After lingering enough I descend continuing the trail. Soon I arrive at Stratton Pond, a rather large pond I think. 

Stratton Pond

I check for wildlife, none today. The muddy trail is still substantially the same. There are lots of places with wet mud and usually these locations are wide as hikers try to go around the mud.  There are nice sections that are enjoyable to hike as well. 

The Vermont forest



I cross a good size stream that is the outflow for a beaver pond. The water is stained like tea and a foam is on the top. I'm told that animal fat will cause the foam on the water. 

Foamy dark water

As I come to VT 11/30 highway I hope to catch a ride to town for a meal and the a stay at Jen's Hostel. I cross the highway and a car pulls out of the AT parking lot. They are going the opposite direction but give me a large bottle of water. The second car right behind them is heading my way a happy to give me a ride  "A Well Soiled Machine", AT class of 2016, was hoping to do some trail magic, but I'm the only one coming by.  He takes me to town leaving me with a couple of beers. I quickly find a cafe for lunch, followed by a call to Jen. She lives very close to town and is there to get me in no time.  Really she has bedrooms instead of bunks.  I happen to get her daughters bedroom.  Her daughter is a very good artist, so good in fact she is studying at Harvard.  This is why I get her room, she's at college. 


Some of her art adorns the walls.  I'm impressed by her pictures, she has talent. 

A shower and I'm feeling much better.  I hope to sleep well here tonight. 





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.