Saturday, July 15, 2017

Waterfalls

  • Day:  125
  • Start:  1700.8
  • End:  1719.8
  • Miles:  19.0
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  63
  • Thru Hikers met:  6

  

Yellow Deli and Hostel


So Friday at 1500 hrs the Yellow Deli closed for the beginning of  the Sabbath celebration. They invited all of the hikers in the hostel to attend their event. While they all take ancient Herbrew names they are Christian. The celebration is filled with joy and love as they sing their praises while dancing ancient dances. Following the celebration is a meal allowing us to visit with the community.  I find this group to be a positive force in our world.  Here is a link if you are interested in who the are. 


On the trail a bit late today, 0845 hrs.  J2 and I are picked up at 0800 hrs, the earliest we could get.  We are hiking 19 miles today then going back to the Yellow Deli. The trail this morning is wet from rain last night.  The damp forest has a delightful herbal scent.  

Lots of water up here

Another waterfall 

On the way to the top I come upon an actual aluminum ladder setup as part of the trail. I'm glad it's here as it would be difficult to get up this rock without it. 

Always surprises on this trail

Enjoyed the gracefulness of this one

I hike to the top of of the second mountain taking a rest. I hear wind and rain coming so I cut my break short to put my pack cover on. I'm not going to use rain gear because I'm already wet from sweating. The rain comes down with intent causeing my to hike with a sense of urgency as I cross the top and descend. Perhaps a half hour later the rain abates, giving way to some spots of sunshine. At the bottom is Thundering Falls. 

A view from the Thundering Falls Boardwalk 


Thundering Falls Boardwalk 

Thundering Falls

The sun comes out for a brief period giving a splendid feel to the forest. 

Sun at last

Just before my last ascent I arrive at the pretty Kent Pond. 

Kent Pond

One more climb and I'm done with this section. The climb goes through a campground at Gifford Woods State Park. Once one the other side I can hear the traffic on VT route 4. 

A beautiful section

At the highway I hike about 1000' along the road to a ski resort where I catch a bus back to the Deli. Rain starts again on the ride to town. A shower an a hot meal make a pleasant end to this day





 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.