Monday, July 10, 2017

The Lodge

  • Day:  119
  • Start:  1610.6
  • End:  1632.2
  • Miles:  21.6
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  69
  • Low temp:  56
  • Thru Hikers met:  2

  
Very nice bridge, I think is was build off site and flown in. 

After a proper breakfast at the Sunny Side Diner, I give the local taxi a call.  My ride arrives in 3 minutes and gets me to the trail head by 0638 hrs.  So I have a very good start to the day. 
I ended up spending an additional day in Bennington because of a storm.  It rained most of the day, validating my decision to remain in town
The trail finds its way between another split boulder. A forest anomaly the trail builders have managed to find. 

Another split boulder

The sun is out mixed with cumulus clouds today providing a sometimes sun dappled forest. 

Sometimes this type of lighting is almost confusing to the eye. 

The first shelter of the day is right on the trail.  I take a break, eating a snack and gathering water from the nearby spring. 

View from my seat in the shelter 

Acually a very nice shelter

The Vermont trail

Up I go to the top of Glastonbury Mt., the ascent was moderate. At the top is a fire tower that is accessible. 






These pictures are looking to the north and east from the tower. 

The metal around the viewing space made it difficult to create a panarama picture.  So I had to settle for some single shots. 

The trail goes right under this bent tree 

Soon a pond appears through the trees. As I approach the spillway I notice it has been damed by beavers. 

A beaver dam and lodge. 

I linger on the shore watching for signs of life, perhaps a moose or beaver, nothing today so I move on. 


Another shot of the lodge

I reach my planned destination,  a simple shelter.  I traveled 19 miles today but it's only 1630 hrs. I rest a while then decide to hike a while longer. I reach a little river with some campsites. There are two hiker there already, a woman called Rainbow and a man called.by his name Reese. I politely ask it there is room for another and they both say of course, plus they offer to include me in their bear bag hang.  I setup and then join them for a little conversation. They are really delightful people and they just met this afternoon, the way the interact I thought they were a couple.  I met Reese in Boiling Springs, we chat about out first meeting which sets a nice comfortable feeling about the camp. Soon enough it's time to sleep and I'm off to my tent. 

 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.