Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The Stand

  • Day:  114
  • Start:  1520.6
  • End:  1544.3
  • Miles:  23.7
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  74
  • Low temp:  63
  • Thru Hikers met:  0

 
The trail angel, Joe

So how do I get back to the trailhead 6 miles away?  I met J2 at the market yesterday.  He was resuppling and told me the fellow in the parking lot was going to give him a ride.  I introduced myself and Joe seemed very happy to be able to help me this morning. I told him 0630 hrs and he gave me his phone number to text him in the morning. He stated he lived about 1 mile from the motel I'm staying at. I texted Joe this morning a little after 0600 hrs and he texted back, "be there in 5".  
So this foggy morning I'm on the trail by 0630 walking through pastureland and yes the grass is wet.  
I may have neglected to mention that I'm in Massachusetts now. I crossed the state line on the trail before Great Barrington. 

Foggy pastureland 

Soon I'm back in the forest and the wet grass is gone. I do get the occasional drop from the leaves on the trees.   I cross by the outlet to Benedict Lake, it looks inviting for a swim, I decide to hike on. 

Benedict Lake

Now more boardwalks followed by a climb.  I reach the Ledges a nice place to rest that offers the a southern view of Massachusetts. 

The view from The Ledges, mile 1531.5

A while later I am at a little beaver pond.  I rest here a while enjoying this peaceful place.  The only sign of life is a bull frog's occasional croak. 

The beaver pond

I step aside as a group of boys pass in the southbound direction.  They look like they are enjoying their time outdoors.  They all seem to have large packs. 
The trail seems fairly easy today, maybe partly due to the lower temperature, lower humidity and a slight breeze. I simply am not sweating like I did in the last week of hiking. 

The afternoon sun in the forest

A pasture appears with a old Shaker Village in the background. 

The old Shaker Village in the background 

I arrive at a road looking for the 'Trail Stand'. The children of a local resident operate an unattended tiny store for hikers and locals. For hikers there are cold beverages and snacks.  For locals there are fresh eggs. I get a Nature Valley bar, an organic banana and some Gatorade.  There is a very nice table to rest at while enjoying my unexpected treat. 

The 'Trail Stand'

A comfortable place to rest 

Back into the forest where I find a nice stream to gather my second liter of water today.  Water has been plentiful today, so I don't have to plan for dry sections. 
I arrive at another pasture/marsh crossing on a rickety boardwalk.  This boardwalk sways as I walk on it. I'm thinking it could actually fail if I'm not careful. 

The rickety walk


Now as I cross a road to start an ascent there is a cooler with sliced watermelon. What a very refreshing treat and good way to start my climb.  Once on top I'm looking for a place to camp. I'm tired and the evening has arrived.  I find a nice spot with good drainage. I don't expect and rain tonight, but I want to be prepared if it does come.  A very nice hike today. 







 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.