Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Happy 4th

  • Day:  114
  • Start:  1544.3
  • End:  1568.5
  • Miles:  24.2
  • Hours:  13
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  64
  • Thru Hikers met:  4

 
Goose Pond

Happy 4th everyone!

Just before sleep I here explosions one after another, even though I'm in the wilderness sometimes there are homes close by.  The explosions are the sounds from a home fireworks kit.   The dense forest keeps me from seeing any fireworks.  Perhaps tomorrow I can see some, as my plan is to be in Dalton by evening. 
I'm in the trail by 0530 hrs with a quick step and high hopes to make Dalton about 25 miles ahead.
I come to Goose Pond which is a beautiful sight this morning.  If I take a .5 mile trek off trail I can get pancakes and coffee at a AMC sponsored cabin.  I consider this very hard as the coffee sounds wonderful, pancakes not so much. I move on saving the time spent  going to the cabin.  
I arrive at the reason I'm hearing all this traffic noise. I cross over interstate 90 on a foot bridge.  Such a big structure just to get hikers over the turnpike. 

Foot bridge I've westbound I-90

Today's trail has an initial climb then just small ups and downs, so I can travel fairly fast on this flatter tread. Another pond comes into view, providing a peaceful, serene place to be. 

Finerty Pond

Pretty addition to the trail

The water sources ahead are a little skitchey so I'm concerned. Just before an ascent I notice a cooler filled with beverages, fruit and water.  Thankfully I fill my liter bottle with water and enjoy a banana.  This trail magic from Patroit makes the climb so easy.  Lots of boardwalks in this section.  The section is a bit muddy but easy enough to walk. 
I come to Washington Mountain Road where just next to the trail is a blueberry farm. The blueberry are not ripe yet but the woman that lives here sells hard boiled eggs and drinks.  She's called the Cookie Lady because sometimes she give hikers a cookie.  I filled my water bottle and purchased 3 eggs and a drink. We chat a while learning that her daughter lives in the Seattle area as well.  No cookies today, I think she's busy.  Now I do have a good boost of protein to move me down the trail. 

My last egg in the egg basket

Cookie Ladies home

I continue with more boardwalks and arrive at another road.  I recognize a van that I saw in Tennessee. It's Rob's Casper van.  He's here! He steps out and says I recognize you from before. We reintroduce ourselves and sit down to rest. Rob has a variety of magic, I decide to take a bagel with cream cheese and a beer. Rob used to run a hostel in Dalton for 11 years, so he has family and friends here he wanted to visit. Plus he can see hikers he saw a 1000 miles ago. 

Rob and the Casper van

Now I have 7 miles to make Dalton. With the extra fuel on board I can travel fast for an extended period of time. I make Dalton before I realize it. The trail goes through the town for about 1.5 miles. I stop at Tom's, a trail angel,  home that is right on the trail he allows hikers to tent in his yard. Tom is on his deck and greets me. I ask If I may tent in his yard and he smiles and says "yes of course".   I get the rules of the place and find a place to tent. 
There are two other hikers here already and they come over saying they are heading to the store asking if I would like to go with them.  Well of course I would, it's another chance for food.  I end up getting a Ruben sandwich at the local sub shop and a few Guinness at the liquor store next door. Now to see if I can enjoy some fireworks tonight. 


 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.