Sunday, July 23, 2017

Franconia Ridge

  • Day:  132
  • Start:  1813.7
  • End:  1829.8
  • Miles:  16.1
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  70
  • Low temp:  56
  • Thru Hikers met:  12

 

Lonesome Lake

Enjoying my coffee sitting in the dining room looking east over Lonesome Lake.  The on the trail by 0610 hrs.  The trail descends to Franconia Notch where the trail crosses under I 93.  I make quick work of the 3.5 miles to the freeway where I find an ice chest filled with Gatorade.  Very pleased it's Gatorade, so I pack one for later on today.  


Whitehouse Brook, left by the abutment is the ice chest full of Gatorade

Now a good climb up to Franconia Ridge and Mt. Lafayette, ele. 5260'.  Another challenging rock climbing day.  An hour and a half later I emerge from the forest to a rocky ridge. 


Franconia Ridge

I'm looking forward to this hike, as it is along an open ridge all the way up the Mt.  Lafayette.  I not used to so many people around, it is Saturday and this ridge is accessed by several different trails.  The views are splendid. 


Looking south to where I started, that little white spot in the middle is Lonesome Lake. 

I enjoy the open walk to Mt. Layafette. Just prior to reaching the summit a glider wooshes by.  A light breeze is present taking away the heat of the sun. 

A glider is out enjoying the view


Looking north from Mt. Lafayette to Mt Garfield my next destination 


All the forest below the peaks is alpine with beautiful moss ground cover. I feel more at home hiking in this environment than I have for the last 1800 miles. 
The descent is anothe rocky trail. 


Pictures just don't tell the incline story


Admired the texture of the cap

I arrive at the Galehead Hut for a $2 bowl of soup and water I don't need to filter.  I relax here for a while before heading out to find a good campsite. 


Galehead Hut, has bunk rooms, composting toilets, a full kitchen and dining room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.