Saturday, July 29, 2017

Rattle River

  • Day:  139
  • Start:  1876.3
  • End:  1891.6
  • Miles:  15.3
  • Hours:  7
  • High temp:  56
  • Low temp:  50
  • Thru Hikers met:  0

 

Carter Notch View on the way to Carter Dome


I'm in the trail by 0800 hrs on my way up to Carter Dome. The air is cool, in the low 50's, making a good hiking morning. I reach the summit to find 2 women there, they take my picture for me before they leave. 


Carter Dome with the presidential range in the background 

I've got 14 more miles to hike to reach my destination. I plan on staying at the White Mountains Hostel in Gorham. Lots of granite slabs to walk with the usual assortment of steep rocks to navigate. Even with the difficulties I'm making good time. 


This leaf caught my eye


There is a damp lushness in this region that creates a beautiful foliage 


Fascinating how the plants can manage life even on a rock

The descent from this ridge is 3253', it seems like a long time to finally reach the bottom.  Then the trail levels and I'm walking along a stream, very nice end to the rocky hike. The last 4 miles are easy and flat on an almost dirt tread. In short order I arrive at the highway, I check my GPS because I arrived  so fast I'm not sure it's the proper spot. Yes it is and just a .1 mile down the road is the hostel and my resupply. This arrival is significant in two ways, I have completed the Whites and now have less than 300 miles to go to the completion of my hike. Another good day hiking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.