Wednesday, July 12, 2017

A Rainy Day

  • Day:  121
  • Start:  1650.7
  • End:  1668.4
  • Miles:  17.7
  • Hours:  8
  • High temp:  67
  • Low temp:  61
  • Thru Hikers met:  1

  
The iris is such a beautiful flower

The forecast is for thunderstorms heavy at times. When morning rolls around the forcast has changed to rain in the late morning letting up in the afternoon.  I'm on the trail by 0608 hrs hiking fast with just my essentials in my pack. I plan on stay at Jen's again tonight.  A good climb first thing up Bromley Mountain, 3263', which happens to be the top of a ski lift as well.  As I get to the top I can fainty the ski equipment through the mist.  The foliage along the trail to sodden with moisture and not trimmed back. Every step places me into wet foliage and in short order I'm soaked.  I guess I should have put my rain gear on sooner. The hiking is keeping me warm and will eventually dry my clothes.  But wait, the rain has started so I gear up to avoid further deeper wetness. 


I cross lots of boardwalks today

The wood used for these boardwalks seems to allow a slippery mold or fungus to grow, making the boards very slippery when wet.  So walking on these requires lots of little steps as if I where walking on icy ground. 
Interestingly the boards are chewed upon, I suspect the local animal population with teeth cutting issues are making the destructive marks. 

This bite mark is kind of small, but in other places the boards are almost gone because of the teeth cutters. 



I arrive at Griffith Lake and get just one small view. 

Griffith Lake

There is a boardwalk for the entire length of the lake about .4 of a mile.  This boardwalk is the slipperiest by far, so all my steps sre tiny mincing steps. 

Another lovely forest section 

One last river crossing and I'm just about to my destination for the day. 

 Big Branch River and bridge 

I finish the hike early and there isn't anyone available to retrieve me. I'm on a dirt forest service road so I'm concerned I'll be waiting here for hours. There is some activity at the AT parkin lot up ahead.   The first car out gives me a ride to Wallingford.  There I can get my resupply box from the post office and a meal at Sals. There is a local bus that stops in front of a gas station at 1527 hrs. I wait and wait but the bus must be late.  A logging truck pulls over and is going to Manchester Center too. So I get back to Manchester and have about a 20 min walk back to Jen's. 
Another shower and I'm feeling refreshed. I sort out my food, dry my gear and then I try iron on patches to fix my pockets which have developed some holes.  The patches seem to have worked fixing the pocket holes.  Ready to hike again, now lets see that forecast..,.




 

 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.