Friday, June 30, 2017

Salisbury

  • Day:  111
  • Start:  1490.6
  • End:  1504.9
  • Miles:  14.3
  • Hours:  9
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  67
  • Thru Hikers met:  4

 
Falls Village High School

The flashes are soothing to watch as I wake about 0200 hrs. Fireflies are in the trees above me and are a delight to watch. As the air cools in the early morning they decide to stop.  It seems like they enjoy the warm summer nights.
I'm in Falls Village by 0630 waiting for the Toymaker Cafe to open at 0700 hrs. 

The Toymaker Cafe

Inside the Toymaker 

Breakfast

The corned beef hash is home made and delicious. 

I enjoy my breakfast with J2, (we helped each other take photos at McAfee's Knob) and Kentucky Straight. 
After a very good breakfast I head out working through the local farmland and residential area.  The trail skirts the young Housatonic River for a while. 

The Housatonic River

Falls at the a power station 

The trail winds through the farmland and briefly emerges into an open field. 

Connecticut farmland 

Back into the forest, where thankfully the trail is moderate this morning.  A unusual rock exists along the trail named the Giants Thumb. 

The Giants Thumb, mile 1496.1

The forest is warm and the humidity is about 70% today.  My shirt is completely soaked with sweat already this morning.  Even though some of this trail is easy the humidity is not favorable.



A view from the Lion's Head, mile 1502.0

I'm making good time traversing the distance from my camp. I've got a small resupply at the Salisbury post office.  I'm able to retrieve the box and secure a room at trail angel, Vanessa Breton's hostel/home.  The forecast is for severe thunderstorms this afternoon.  As I enjoy a steak and beer at the Lockup Restaurant, right next door to Vanessa's, the sky lights up and the thunder rocks the building, then the deluge starts and does not stop for 20 minutes. The rain is so hard that cars must pull over. I'm so glad I'm not in the forest as even with optimal tent placement and drainage channels I feel I would have trouble managing this amount of water. Tomorrow the forecast is the same, I plan on making the town of Great Barrington before the big event. 

 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.