Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Trail of Hope

  • Day:  86
  • Start:  1069.7
  • End:  1082.5
  • Miles:  12.8
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  69
  • Low temp:  55
  • Thru hikers met:  2

 
A rainy day

Today I have a short hike just over 12 miles to Fayetteville for resupply.  So I'm on the trail at 0700 hrs looking forward to a short day. The sky is overcast and the air feels like rain is coming. The forecast is for rain this afternoon so I feel relatively safe. And yet at 0930 hrs the rain appears, gently at first then enough to use my gear. I enjoy the freshness taken on by the forest. Scents are released like a nice bar of soap and some pleasant mint. I look to figure out what plants are producing these scents but haven't identified them yet. The light in the forest is magical this morning with the steady rain and a little mist starting up. I'm enjoying my hike until I hit the rocks, now I have to be very careful as there are lichens on the rocks that become slippery when soaked with rain.  The tread is not really muddy yet but it is holding water in some places.  The rain has brought out the frogs as I've seen 2 hop across the trail. 

 
The trail is just to the left of the outcrop. 

So after a couple of miles of rocks the trail finally smooths out. 
I make it to the highway with still a fine rain coming down. A restaurant is just down the road at .4 mile. I head there hoping to dry my boots a little plus get breakfast. 

 
The Timber's 

After a good meal I contact the hostel just down the street, it's a church hostel and Pastor Sandy answers my call. Yes she will help me get my resupply box and yes she has room for me. 

 
Trail of Hope Hostel

 
Comfortable common area

The hostel has enough bunks for 10 people and tonight I'm the only one here.  So I can leisurely do my laundry and shower.   Sort out my resupply and install some new insoles in my boots, the original ones are shot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.