Saturday, June 10, 2017

Duncannon

  • Day:  89
  • Start:  1121.6
  • End:  1146.9
  • Miles:  25.3
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  57
  • Thru hikers met:  3

 
Pennsylvania farmland 

After a nice breakfast in town at Cafe 101, I start out at 0830 hrs. The first .2 of a mile are on the town road then I step off into a forest strip between crop fields.  At times the trail is at the edge of the field but protected from the sun by the overhanging tree limbs. 

 
A fence crossing 

Every so often I cross a field. I'm very thankful that today's temperatures are cool as this farmland can be hot in the full sun. 

 
A mowed field

The trail went right through this field but kept an unmowed buffer

There are white butterflies everywhere in the field above.  My guess is the larva enjoy the crop, perhaps this indicates there aren't any pesticides being used. 

A nice stand of wheat

Back into the forest strip, mostly it's so dense that it is difficult to see the fields. 

 
He's in there, Mr Bunny

Great vistas today

The farmland crossing is a very nice change. I'm enjoying the great views as well as the fields of crops. 

 
The lush green of alfalfa

I cross the freeway then drop down off the road to walk through another field.  Soon I'm using fence stairs to enter a field of grazing dairy cows.  As I approach they seem a little nervous, so I address them in a kind voice. As soon as they hear me speak to them they look up and make a move towards me. Perhaps too kind of an approach, so I just tell them I'm coming through and I don't want any trouble. They go about their business and I get through. 

 
They are kinda in my way. 

 
Conodoguinet Creek Boardwalk 
 
 
Conodoguinet Creek

The Conodoguinet Creek runs by the trail. A nice long boardwalk provides protection for floodwaters.  After crossing the creek I come to the Scott Farm an ATC work Center. I take a break using the picnic table and get some water. 
Now I'm back in the forest which is fine as I was just getting ready to apply sunscreen. I come upon 2 small creatures waddling side by side towards me on the trail. At first I think they are ducks because of the waddling. They are hard to see in the shade, but I finally identify them as 2 small raccoon kits.  They both stop when they see me. One turns and runs, the other is not certain what to do 

 
The two bandits

 
The indecisive one

I have never seems such small raccoons.  The indecisive little guy finally runs into the weeds just of the trail where I can still see him. I keep walking so as to not cause him any more trepidation.  



 
Found him on the edge of a trough feed by a spring

I thought I was done with the farmland happily there is one more field to cross. 

 
The last field of the day. What a beautiful scene. 

My plan is to finish the 25 miles to Duncannon so I can collect my resupply in the morning. I'm getting close so I feel I can make it in a reasonable time. 

The trail starts a descent to Duncannon and goes right to this beautiful view. I'm amazed that I don't have to go off trail to see it. 

 
A western view of Pennsylvania with Duncannon in the mid right. 

Now I'm descending stone steps and dropping in elevation rapidly. I can hear traffic in town so I know I'm getting close. The tread drops onto a paved street which leads me right into town and to an iconic AT place to dine, The Doyle, an ancient hotel run as a hostel. The rooms are very basic with a simple bed a dresser and a chair.  The bathroom is down the hall 

The Doyle 

 
My basic room

I am in time to have a Guinness and steak in the bar. The bar has 4 other hikers who are happy to rehash the day.  A good end to a good day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.