Thursday, June 29, 2017

Caleb's Peak

  • Day:  110
  • Start:  1468.0
  • End:  1490.6
  • Miles:  22.6
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  62
  • Thru Hikers met:  3

 
Two twin fawns

I'm experiencing that deep sleep just prior to my alarm. I snooze the alarm for 30 minutes to get a little more. I'm on the trail by 0600 hrs enjoying the cool morning air.  A very short time from starting I came upon a doe nursing her two twins.  Everyone froze, as I reach for my camera the twins bolt, then mom does as well. So all I'm able to get is the twins on the trail. They keep running in front of me until they finally figured out to go sideways. 
A short but steep climb to Caleb's Peak is my first view of the day. 

Caleb's Peak

View form Caleb's Peak, mile 1470.8

Today is going to be lots of ups and downs. The grade is steep and I claw my way to the top with my trekking poles.  Another view location is Saint John's Ledges. 

The view from Saint John's Ledges, mile 1471.4

I continue the up and down process, with the humidity at about 65%  I'm sticky and sweaty.  I start another descent and notice this enormous rock. I guess I should have taken a panarama so I could show it all. 

The very huge rock

Now a rapid descent with some stone stairs and some jumbled rocks. This descent takes time because it is so steep.  Once at the bottom the trail follows the Housatonic River for about 5 miles.  Wow! What a great  easy walk this 5 miles is. 

The Housatonic River with day lillies

A refreshing change of pace

At one point I leave the river and skirt a field, no dew so it's a pleasure. 


More day lillies

Some daisies along the road

Now a climb away from the river.  Followed by more steep ups and downs. The climbs aren't long maybe 500', but darn they are steep.  Another trail builder challenge, a slot between a split boulder. 

How do they find these things?

More ups and downs, I'm getting fatigued as the day draws to a close. A final view looking west into Connecticut from Hang Glider View. 

Western Connecticut. Just out of the picture to the right is a race track with race cars on it.  Mile 1487.6

As I listen to the powerful race cars I descend into a valley.  Once at the valley floor I cross CT route 7, but before I continue on the trail I take a short walk to a closed vehicle repair shop.  Outside is a vending machine that offers Powerade.  I get 2 right off the bat. I sit on a bench and cool down while replacing my lost electrolytes.  One more for the road and I resume the trail.  The trail passes between a slow moving Housatonic River and a field then pops out into a highway. 


I'm a little concerned about a place to camp as the trail doesn't seem to be in the forest anymore.  I pass by the high school and notice there is a portapotty in the back. I divert to this area and find a spigot and a camp spot as well. Schools out and thus place looks deserted. Not my usual camping preference but it will have to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.