Sunday, June 25, 2017

Unionville

  • Day:  102
  • Start:  1330.8
  • End:  1353.1
  • Miles:  22.3
  • Hours:  12
  • High temp:  76
  • Low temp:  64
  • Thru hikers met:  6

 
 
The highest point in New Jersey 

Two hammock sleepers shared the same campsite with me last night.  The camp was very quiet so we all slept well.  On the trail at a respectable 0525 hrs. Today in about 7 miles the end of the high amount of rocks on the trail is going to come to an end.  I believe everyone of us is looking forward to the rocks ending. Within a short time I come to a nice southeastern view. 


Southeastern New Jersey, mile 1332.1

I cross a stream with dark red clear water. I suspect it is the tannins from the leaves that taint the water.  This stream is not listed as a water source so it's possible there could be some other contaminants.  Either way the water does not invite me to filter it.  The trail has more ups and downs this morning. Another southeastern view is provided, a very nice vista. 


Southeastern New Jersey, mile 1334.7

A little later I arrive at High Point State Park headquarters. There is a pretty pond in front of the stone state building that catches my eye. 


High Point State Park headquarters front lawn and pond. 

The reason it's called high point is the highest peak in New Jersey is in this park. I get to an observation tower that allows for a nice 360 view. I can see the highest peak easily from here as there is an obelisk on it. 


The observation tower


A flat 360 view


The highest point obelisk 

As I get closer to town the trail goes through pastureland. 




A pleasant little pond 

Now I find myself traversing a boardwalk over a boggy area. This boardwalk is the longest I've ever walked on. I'm thankful I don't have to slog though this bog. 


This boardwalk went on forever 

My initial goal today is a resupply in Unionville about 15 miles away.   I hope to arrive before 1130 hrs because this post office is closed from 1130 to 1300 hrs.  I arrive in town at 1200 hrs, just a little too late. A short walk from the post office is the Wits End Tavern and they are open.  I can charge my phone, relax a bit, and order a cheese steak sandwich and beer. Time well spent.  Interestingly some of the thrive bars I have been eating are being recalled for listeria. I find two of the recalled bars in my box. I stop by the grocery store to get some replacements. While I'm there I see Clunk, Jam, Pilgrim and Valley Forge.  We chat, among other things, about the deluge and how everyone did.  Looks like Jam and Pilgrim got hit hard, so they hiked to a road and got a ride to town.  Glad I stayed at the Mohican Center.  Unionville is a very small town with all these services within easy walking distance.  
I've sorted my food and am now ready to leave.  The trail has some road walk followed by a turn around the Wallkill National Wildlife Refuge. 


The Wallkill National Wildlife Refuge

 Not much wildlife out here with the exception of the occasional frog song.  I did see some nice flowers there. 


These had a wonderful scent


A dainty thistle 


What a brilliant color

The trail turns away from the refuge and follows another endless boardwalk across a bog. Once I've competed the bog walk I climb a steep grade back into the mountains. 


Looking south back to Unionville. On the mountain in the distance is the high point obelisk. Mile 1351.2

Another few miles and I locate a campsite for the night.  Many things accomplished today, another good day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.