Monday, June 5, 2017

Annapolis Rocks

  • Day:  84
  • Start:  1023.7
  • End:  1048.3
  • Miles:  24.7
  • Hours:  11
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  57
  • Thru hikers met:  3

 
 Practically halfway

After a hearty breakfast I'm in the trail at 0636 hrs.  I cross the bridge over the Potomac River to a long walk on a broad tread right next to the Potomac. 

 
The confluence of the Shenandoah and the Potomac Rivers.  Harpers Ferry to the right. 

 
Maryland side

 
Three miles right along the river

  Nice cool forest

There is an overcast sky this morning helping keep my hike cool. As soon as I leave the river walk the trail narrows and climbs. I see a tiny, about 8", rattle snake on the trail. I use my pole to gently nudge him off the trail. He is already ornery as he coiled in a way to make his head seem bigger and vibrates his tiny tail as if he had rattles. His knowledge from the infinite allows him to stay alive as a rattlesnake.  I take his picture and again gently nudge him. This time he makes for the forest leaving me free passage. Now I'm looking for mom or dad as I hike. 

 
Baby rattler

The trail is fast today and I get as close as ever makeing a 10 x 10. That's hiker speak for 10 miles by 1000 hrs. It really doesn't matter when you start so technically I could do it every day by just getting up early. Anyway I did 10 miles by 1010 hrs which I'm fairly happy with it. The 10 miles ended at Gathland State Park where some trail magic was happening.  Dave, his wife and little Autumn where hosting a hiker feed for their church. They are very nice delightful people. I chose a hamburger, pasta salad, water, fresh strawberries, and a few homemade cookies.  Just Craig was there as well, I met him in Atkins and have seen him many times since then. 

 
Dave and Autumn with Just Craig on the right

 
The spread, amazing 

I take my leave and in a short while I arrive at today's view. 

 
Views to the south

 
Mountain laurel

Many mountain laurel blooms today

I enter the Washington Monument State Park where there is a restroom and potable water.  I hike to the peak just 200' off the AT to view the first Washington Monument. 

 

 
There is a staircase that takes me to the top for a 360 view

 

I'm very pleased that this secret monument has been shared. 
I move up the trail which is wide with all the interest in this monument.  

 
Lots of people on this trail today, it's Saturday 

I hear a freeway and soon discover how I will cross interstate 70.

A pedestrian bridge

The rule in Maryland is no camping unless it's in a designated camp area. So I'm hiking to the Annapolis Rocks camp area to see the view and camp for the night. As I come down s side trail to the rocks I see a camp host, he happily greets me. I'm informed there is lots of room and he directs me to his favorite site.  My site is private yet close to the trail out for easy morning exit and close to the privy, but far away enough so there aren't any privy issues.  I filter some water for tomorrow from a very nice spring. Now I'm ready to visit the rocks and watch the sunset.  Oh, in the valley below the rocks is s drag strip. Tonight is drag night and I've been listening to the raw testosterone sound of dragsters for a couple of hours now. 


Sunset from The Annapolis Rocks

 

 
I'm camped next to a large stand of mountain laurel 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.