Friday, June 2, 2017

Harpers Ferry

  • Day:  82
  • Start:  1011.2
  • End:  1023.7
  • Miles:  12.5
  • Hours:  5
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  64
  • Thru hikers met:  1

 
View from Buzzard Rocks

Cheryl has left the coffee maker on the porch for us. I get the first pot going then pack my gear. A little late starting today, 0700 hrs but really only have about 12 miles to Harpers Ferry.  The climb out goes by in a flash because I'm fresh. I pass a little stream with a pleasant mini waterfall 

 
Wonderful little waterfall

Soon I cross a state highway right on the boarder of West Virginia and Virginia. 

 
Feels good to have another state completed 

I arrive at the Shenandoah River which is much bigger now than when I saw it in Waynsbrough, although just as muddy. 

 
The trail crosses the Shenandoah River via a pedestrian walk on the state highway. 

The trail emerges from a forest into old town Harpers Ferry.  The ruins of an Episcopal Church are the first I see of the town. Then the Catholic Church as the trail steps down through the edge of town. 

 
Episcopal Church ruins 

 

St Peters Catholic Church, the trail is in the paved road just to the right

I find a suitable place to stay just up from the trail. 

The Towns Inn, where I'm staying, is the one with the upper porch and flag 

Dropping my gear I head to the post office and the ATC headquarters as they are very close to each other
When hikers get to the ATC hq we get our picture taken out front which is then entered into the yearly hiker log book, it's an other iconic thing about the trail. 

My ATC picture

 
 Appearently I'm the 493 hiker to log in this year. Not all are thru hikers, some are section hikers. 

This's evening Karen, the Inn keeper, asked Dale, (Dead Eye),  and me if we would like to attend the Thursday night country music session at O'Hurley's General Store in Shelardstown. We both are very happy to say yes. As it turned out this is a magical experience I so glad I had a chance to attend



A magical night

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.