Monday, June 19, 2017

Mohican Center Rain Stay

  • Day:  99-100
  • Start:  1304.4
  • End:  1304.4
  • Miles:  0
  • Hours:  0
  • High temp:  84
  • Low temp:  72
  • Thru hikers met:  0

 
 

Waiting out a major storm event at the Mohican Center.  1"-2" of rain predicted for Monday plus flash flood warnings. I dislike sitting still for this but I feel the Mohican Center is a safe bet for comfortable accommodations and food as compared to waiting the storm out in a crowded shelter. Very nice people here. Most of the weekend families have gone. Now it's mostly hikers here. I'm relaxing on the big couch in the dining/great room. There is wifi in this room only which is good enough to allow me to FaceTime with family today.  
The cabin I'm in is the closest to the lodge, making it very convenient   

 
The Sunset cabin

 
It's got a kitchen, bathroom and shower

 
My bunk

On the way to the cabin yesterday I spotted a copperhead snake on the roadway. 

 
The copperhead 

When I walked back to the cabin later that night I spotted him again moving across the road. Made me glad I had my headlamp so I could give him a wide berth.  In the morning I mentioned to the staff about the copperhead. They are aware and pointed out 2 posts in the ground by his home under a rock.  Copperhead snakes are generally reported as being aggressive, this guy is not aggressive so he has not been removed.  I just wonder if he might become aggressive if stepped on.  

 
The reported copperhead home under this rock

Heavy rain started about 1530 hrs and continues intermittently.  Thunder echos just above the lodge as this storm rages.  At only 1630 hrs it appears as dark as if it was 2000 hrs.  My hope is this all ends by morning so I may move on. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.