Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Kittatinny Ridge

  • Day:  101
  • Start:  1304.4
  • End:  1330.8
  • Miles:  26.4
  • Hours:  13
  • High temp:  75
  • Low temp:  65
  • Thru hikers met:  5

 
Southeast New Jersey from Kittatinny Ridge

I finally get up at 0530 hrs. I've been awake off and on from 0400 hrs. A quick check of today's weather using the wifi at the lodge, it looks like good hiking weather.   I'm on the trail at 0600 hrs, but moving slow because I didn't get to sleep until midnight.  I just didn't get tired laying about all day, so it took a while to get to sleep.   The sun is up and the air is fresh. The dampness from yesterday's rain has dried for the most part.  I make a modest climb to Kittatinny Ridge where there are some nice viewing spots of southeast New Jersey. 

Kittatinny Ridge

Further up the trail I discover a beaver pond.  The occasional frog sound is here from different locations on the pond. I see one from dart into the water as I approach. 

 
The beaver pond

I continue on a ridge trail that is fairly smooth. There are trees and bushes along my left side. Suddenly I hear labored breathing as if someone has climbed up to the ridge. I stop and turn to my left and peer through the trees and bushes to find the source of the breathing.  About 30' away is a full size black bear on all fours presenting his full profile. He seems like he is focused on being quiet and getting back to normal after a climb. I raise my camera to get a picture of at least a part of him through the foliage but he sees my movement and starts to leave. I realize I may have missed him if I didn't hear his breathing.  I think his plan was stand still and the guy on the trail will just walk by, but when I stopped he had to move on. I continue on the trail a bit then check to see what he is up to, I see him in the distance crossing the trail then disappearing in a southern direction. 
I descend to Culvert Gap finding a road with some businesses, one of which is Gyp's Tavern.  There is a patio around back with a relaxing view of Kittatinny Lake.  I order a burger and a beer then settle in. 

 
 Kittatinny Lake view from Gyp's patio

As I enjoy the view I notice an eagle searching the lake for a meal.  Could be a golden or a young bald that is working the lake for a meal. 
Back on the trail and I figure a couple more hours of hiking to Mashipacong Shelter.  On the way is Sunrise Mountain and a stone pavilion. 

 
Sunrise Mountain Pavilion 

 
View from Sunrise Mountain to the southeast of  New Jersey 

A little further and I can rest.  I arrive at Mashipacong Shelter, there is water here and a bear box for storing my food bag.  Maybe 10 hikers here but there is plenty of space for camping. I set my tent up is a tree covered location.  A very nice day back on the trail. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, happy to hear from you, please post your comments here.